Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Tools > Together 5.5 first impressions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SZ
Administrator

Together 5.5 first impressions

TogetherSoft has done it again by pulling a rabbit out of a hat, so to speak, and coming up with a new, ground-breaking release.

What is so unique about Together Control Center, release 5.5? For starters, it now supports ALL of these languages: Java, C++, C#, VB6 and .NET. If you want proof, you can now find the CashSales example implemented as a sample application in each of the languages!

This is quite odd... A C# development tool written in Java! How will Redmond digest this?

A harder question: where does a company go from this point, having supported 3 cutting edge MS technologies? If history is any guide, a company usually gets bought and moves to Redmond... If this sounds outlandish, given that TCC is written in Java, how hard would it be to translate the Java to C# given that the latter is a knockoff of the former?

These are hard questions, but given the business climate out there now for software companies, anything could happen. Especially since TogetherSoft got an infusion of investment capital over the last year. Investors generally want return on investment.

I've made my predictions, now let's hear yours...

As a side note, it appears that TogetherSoft is on a six month release schedule with one release usually timed before Java One each year. The 5.0 release seemed odd at the time because the major feature seemed to be the licensing scheme. This release has more new features, of which the biggest seems to be the new language support.

A note to TogetherSoft: how about adding Python and Ruby support! Is there no money in this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-26-2001 04:08 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SY1

TogetherSoft 5.5 and RationalRose

What do think about these two tools? Would you list some comparision?

Old Post 10-11-2001 01:20 PM
SY1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SY1 Click here to Send SY1 a Private Message Find more posts by SY1 Add SY1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

If you are looking for a good comparison between Together Control Center (TCC) and Rational Rose, an excellent source is to contact the sales department at TogetherSoft. They have some internal documents which they use during sales calls which compare TCC to other leading UML tools.

Naturally you would expect these documents to be a little biased; however, I have seen several of these and they are thorough and objective. I highly recommend this as a starting point.

It is very hard to do these comparisons. These are complex tools. It is also hard to be objective since the particular environment a user is familiar with will always bias a review.

One thing I can tell you which is significant, though, is that TCC is the result of extensive refactoring/rewriting over the past 3-4 years whereas Rose is an older, more static tool (read: legacy code). If you listen to the Peter Coad interview on our site, he states that there were 7 rewrites of TCC in that time period.

Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen any significant revisions (read: rewrites) of Rose in several years. It appears that the core technology has stayed the same while add-ins and extensions have been developed.

We would love to do a thorough review/comparison of these tools if time would permit. Alas, to do this it would be nice to have some funding...

Old Post 10-14-2001 04:37 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote