Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Open-Source in UML > Batik 1.0 UML diagrams in SVG!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SZ
Administrator

Batik 1.0 UML diagrams in SVG!

Created SVG renditions of the following 1.0 Batik class diagrams:

GVT

SVGGEN

See our SVG pages for information on how this was done and how to navigate around the SVG diagram from within the browser.

This was tested with Adobe's new 2.0 SVG Viewer plugin and worked great when viewed from a browser.

Used .svgz (compressed SVG) format to conserve bandwidth.
The file svggen.svgz is only 49K vs.307K for svggen.gif.

You can download and uncompress w/ WinZip for testing on Batik and other viewers.

Let us know if this is useable...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2001 05:23 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert

Stuart,

I have looked at the SVG examples:

First....they look great....and the abilty to scroll around the screen and pan and zoom....I really like what you have so far

The svgz is the way to go ...to keep file size down

I have some suggestions:

It would be nice to have Xlink in SVG......cool!

I would like to know if it is possible to see all the information in the each of the boxs.....it looks like you have a default width for each box.....can you change this.....I do not know what the implications of changing this....but it would make the diagrams....much more user friendly

Are you going to offer all the diagrams in SVG and gif formats ?

I think the ability to zoom out of the and see the whole diagram is great....... This brings up and interesting question about UI ...
With the abilty to Zoom in and out and pan.....should the diagrams start "high" and the user can zoom in on the diagram and explore ( this view of the document would be nice if you are just looking at the diagrams) ......but what if I am looking at the classes and click on a class on the left side of the page....it would be nice if the diagrame would zoom in just that portion of the diagram.....this would happen for all classes........Now that would be neat

just taking a guess how that would work....svg is just xml....xml is just text.....each text element or clipping path could have a unique id......then just make a link to that part of the diagram...
this would cause the top right frame to show the diagram of the class in the middle of the srceen and the bottom the API information..... just a simple suggestion..

so....what do you think.....

Old Post 05-24-2001 04:55 PM
Robert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Click here to Send Robert a Private Message Find more posts by Robert Add Robert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Thanks for your suggestions, Robert.

On our original Graphics Model in SVG page we embedded Xlink to create hyperlinks for each of the classes. Try it out by clicking on a class - it should take you to the HTML documentation for that class. You can view the SVG source to see how it was done. A reader from France provided us with the first version.

That was done manually. The problem is that the SVG is created in a transformation from a WMF file created by Together/J. Since the WMF file has no contextual information, it is hard to automate any process to create the links. There are some tools which do create SVG directly but I am not familiar enough with them and don't even know if they are robust enough to handle a large model.

The width problem can be revisited but might be hard to fix because the diagrams are all generated automatically by Together/J.

Your ideas about diagram perspective are right on the money. Since Adobe's SVG viewer allows you to script almost everything, it would be possible to start the view zoomed out. Zooming in when viewing a single class is a great idea. Would love to experiment with this since I like the Adobe plugin a lot. Like anything, it would be a good idea to try to prototype this.

BTW, the speed improvements in the Adobe 2.0 viewer are great. The svggen.svgz diagram is huge and it seemed to handled it gracefully. Loading this in the Batik viewer was much slower but it probably hasn't been tuned as much as the Adobe viewer. Also, SVG should be a big memory improvement over GIF since the decompressed GIF is well over a megabyte, all of which needs to be loaded into memory, whereas a good SVG rendering engine should theoretically be able to render just a screenful at a time.

How good is the scripting in Batik? Could the zooming tasks you described be done in that viewer?

Old Post 05-25-2001 04:16 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote