Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Open-Source in UML > Hibernate UML diagrams in SVG Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SZ
Administrator

Hibernate UML diagrams in SVG

We produced UML diagrams in SVG format for several packages in Hibernate, an object-relational mapping tool:

net.sf.hibernate.expression
net.sf.hibernate.hql
net.sf.hibernate.sql
net.sf.hibernate.cache
net.sf.hibernate.collection

Hibernate is rapidly becoming one of the most popular tools for object persistence because it is open-source and very versatile. These diagrams help to get a view of how Hibernate is structured.

The Hibernate version used to produce these diagrams is 2.0.3.
MagicDraw UML version 7.1 was used to do the reverse-engineering and creation of the SVG diagrams.

For some more information on the topic of object persistence, see the following thread: Object Persistence

We like to view these diagrams in SVG because it is easier to explore them by zooming and panning around.

We recommend the Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 as a plugin to IE 6 to view the SVG diagrams we produced; it renders fast and well. See our UML in SVG page for instructions on how to use this plugin to view SVG diagrams in a browser.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-2003 03:52 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

The full set of UML class diagrams for Hibernate 2.1 are now available at http://opensource.objectsbydesign.com .

As expected, the diagrams show a nice use of inheritance of both implementation and interface. Use these diagrams to quickly get familiarized with the structure of this important open-source software for object/relational persistence and query. Hibernate is quickly becoming the de facto standard for this technology and will most likely play a larger and larger role in enterprise Java implementations.

Old Post 12-15-2003 11:58 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjivan

HTML documentation from UML

Hi,
The generated javadocs with the package level UML diagrams are really cool. How were these generated? Was Together/J used?

Are the UML's static svg's or are they dynamically generated from the class source when generating the javadoc?

I would like to incorporate such javadocs w/ UML's in my project as well..

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Old Post 10-29-2004 02:19 AM
sjivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sjivan Click here to Send sjivan a Private Message Find more posts by sjivan Add sjivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Yes, these diagrams are all produced by Together Control Center (TCC), now owned by Borland.

I have yet to find another tool which comes close to TCC in its ability to rapidly reverse-engineer any large code base, do automatic layout with excellent results and then generate high quality, web-based documentation in a reasonable amount of time.

The diagrams are GIF's and what is remarkable about these is that they have detailed image maps that allow you to click on the name of any method and jump to the javadoc for the method in the lower frame of the browser.

I give a lot of credit to whoever wrote the code to generate the HTML documentation. It is very well designed and highly usable.

Alas, Borland has let TCC become entirely stagnant for almost 2 years.

TogetherSoft used to release major features every 6 months, with a major release coinciding with the JavaOne conference each year. I've asked Borland sales people recently if there are any new features coming out and they have nothing to offer. We wrote about this a while ago:
Choosing a UML Modeling Tool: New Releases

Old Post 10-31-2004 01:25 AM
sjivan

Thanks for your response. I'll definitely check out TCC. I was hoping that the tool used was an open source project but I guess not all good things in life are free..

Old Post 10-31-2004 01:58 AM
sjivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sjivan Click here to Send sjivan a Private Message Find more posts by sjivan Add sjivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote