Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Object-Oriented Software Environments > on productivity...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sduskis

on productivity...

A long standing question that I've been researching is "what ingredients are necessary for the most productive development efforts?" My research has focused on enterprise development projects.

The question has multiple fronts including people, tools, physical environment, workplace culture, team dynamics, and methodology just to name a few.

I tend to agree with the camp that the people are the most important criterion for success. I find the Agile software developments methodologies vs. RUP discussions very interesting.

J2EE vs. .Net is another interesting discussion.

Aspect Oriented Programming is another interesting topic.

Controversy and a constant barrage of new technologies and techniques are the driver for the answer.

Any thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2003 04:53 PM
sduskis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sduskis Click here to Send sduskis a Private Message Find more posts by sduskis Add sduskis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

These are some of the most important environmental aspects that I have seen over the years for successful projects (in order of priority):

1. A supportive management that not only knows the benefits that can come out of OO technology but also knows how to use OO technology the 'right way'.

2. A lead architect well versed in both OO design and development.

3. Good tools, usually a UML tool + an IDE. Also includes performance analysis tools, testing tools, web tools, XML tools, etc.

4. Competent business-process owners that provide clear requirements, use cases and functional specifications.

5. Iterative development.

6. Solid libraries of code that are reusable and well documented.

7. Lots of whiteboard sessions (agile development).

Our favorite books on this topic are Bruce Webster's Pitfalls of Object-Oriented Development (sadly, out-of-print but a must-read) and all of Alistair Cockburn's books, which are excellent and 'outside-the-box'.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2003 03:08 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote