Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Object-Oriented Design and Patterns > Problems Organizing programs.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Xytor

Problems Organizing programs.

I have difficulty sitting down and thinking a program through.
What usually happens is I don't do it completely, or i miss something, or i don't go down to enough fundamentals.
So last time i made a program, what happened was that it looked fine, but in the end, there was a certain error in which, in order to fix it i had to tear down the whole structure of one of the classes, and like a domino effect, the whole program.
I do not want this to happen again, and plus, i want to be able to design and analyze a program very well.
When I sit down to do it, i get lost.
What do I do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2004 12:24 PM
Xytor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xytor Click here to Send Xytor a Private Message Visit Xytor's homepage! Find more posts by Xytor Add Xytor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tausifk

hi...
only the thing u can do is, try to design your model very
carefully and distribute the responsiblities to them keeping
OO concept in mind... review it.. change / modify it.. and
code it.. but believe me u wil have to still change ur design
a bit.... after all we are all human

cheers

Old Post 03-18-2005 09:17 AM
tausifk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tausifk Click here to Send tausifk a Private Message Find more posts by tausifk Add tausifk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jayaprabhakar

Don't worry about this. This is a very common thing that happens to every new programmers. Learn the lesson from this failure, sorry mistake.

1. Always the initial design is error prone.
2. Writing the program is also error prone.
3. Fixing the errors will usually collapse the design.
4. Improving the design may introduce few other bugs.

The solution is this,
1. Be prepared to throw away the initial design. That is don't invest much time in initial design.
2. Write the program with the initial design. Try to fix all the errors. The design will obviously be collapsed. Readibility of the code is NULL.
3. Refactor the code. For more about refactoring, read "Refactoring: Improving the design of Existing Code" by Martin Fowler. Also visit www.refactoring.com
4. Use proper tests to check for errors.

This is the concept of Extreme Programming. Please read "Extreme Programming" by Kent Beck.

Old Post 04-24-2005 03:41 PM
jayaprabhakar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jayaprabhakar Click here to Send jayaprabhakar a Private Message Visit jayaprabhakar's homepage! Find more posts by jayaprabhakar Add jayaprabhakar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote