Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > XMI to HTML > XMI to SVG StyleSheet ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DraK

Question XMI to SVG StyleSheet ?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to write a report for my summer internship. I aim at writing it using docbook XML and render it as PDF (server side: using FOP) and HTML (client side: using an XSLT enabled browser), but I run into a certain amount of difficulties. One of them is UML rendition.

I would like to embed UML diagrams in my report, therefore, i'm looking for a way to display UML. I discovered XMI which rocks. Then I ran into your great site which is really valuable in the UML/XML world.

I then tried out your XMI to HTML XSLT transformation which is awsome, and I also saw that your were trying to gather information regarding the process of creating SVG out of XMI.

I could make SVG through the use of the SVG export function of an XMI aware program such as the excellent ArgoML, but I aim at getting on the fly transformation of XMI to SVG through the use of XSLT.

Do you know if such an existing StyleSheet already exists ?

I don't know if I will ever manage to make a 100% XML report, but if I manage to do it, I would like to share my experience with the community. If you have any knowledge of the process involved, please contact me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-2002 11:01 PM
DraK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DraK Click here to Send DraK a Private Message Visit DraK's homepage! Find more posts by DraK Add DraK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

DraK,
You have an ambitious project and certainly this is the right way to go. At OBD we have been promoting SVG for a while now:
http://www.objectsbydesign.com/tools/svg.html

We recently released some of our own designs as SVG:
http://www.objectsbydesign.com/proj...c/overview.html

There is no question that SVG is ideal for browsers. However, it is true that PDF has its own scalability solution.

As far as using XMI goes, I don't believe progress has yet been made on including graphical information within the XMI schema, although certainly there has been talk about this. Until this happens users would have to rely on using their own layout engines or the the layout engines in existing UML products. This would result in a multi-step process:

1. load an XMI file into the UML tool
2. direct the layout engine to automatically create a graphical layout
3. export the layout as SVG

Believe it or not, this can be done today with some tools on the market and probably under control of the API for such a UML tool. Our SVG's (see above) are produced using such tools.

If you discover an XMI export that does include the graphical layout information, I would be very curious to know about it.

Old Post 08-12-2002 03:16 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DraK

quote:
Originally posted by SZ
As far as using XMI goes, I don't believe progress has yet been made on including graphical information within the XMI schema, although certainly there has been talk about this.
Believe it or not, this can be done today with some tools on the market and probably under control of the API for such a UML tool.

As a first aproach, I guess I'll have to delve in ArgoML code and use the layout information in its zargo file. That could do it, but I don't really like the idea of depending on a software's graphical layout file format.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to deal without the graphical layout information by making an XSLT that would make an SVG containing classes' graphical representations without the layout. The hard part would be to arrange the classes by using SVG's dynamic features through the use of javascript.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by SZ
If you discover an XMI export that does include the graphical layout information, I would be very curious to know about it. [/B]

Sure I will

Old Post 08-12-2002 08:59 AM
DraK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DraK Click here to Send DraK a Private Message Visit DraK's homepage! Find more posts by DraK Add DraK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

ArgoUML already has SVG output functionality. Since it is open source, you could pretty much use this. I am sure it could be improved a bit as well, so you you would have an opportunity to contribute back to the project.

Your stuff would probably be different because it would use the zargo XML files and XSLT. Nevertheless, you have a ready SVG example in ArgoUML now.

As far as javascript in SVG goes, we use it effectively and it works fine in the Adobe SVG viewer. Take a look at the web pages cited earlier for examples.

I used Adobe Illustrator SVG output together with their javascript editing capability. The input to Illustrator is the SVG output from Together Control Center. You can look at the SVG source for my UML diagrams to get an idea how another UML tool does SVG output. If you know SVG well it probably shouldn't be too hard because the same patterns are repeated over and over again.

Good luck.

Old Post 08-12-2002 12:42 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote