Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Books > Martin Fowler's new book
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sduskis

Martin Fowler's new book

Martin Fowler of UML Distilled and Refactoring fame came out with a new book Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture. I skimmed the book on his website http://www.martinfowler.com while he was still writing it; unfortunately, the book is no longer browsable there. What I did read seemed very interesting. Robert Martin, a fellow leader of the Agile Software Development movement, wrote a glowing review for that book on Amazon. He expects this book to do for architecture what Design Patterns did for design.

Has anyone read it yet? I'm going to get it soon. Once I have read it, I will post a review here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2002 02:35 PM
sduskis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sduskis Click here to Send sduskis a Private Message Find more posts by sduskis Add sduskis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I just got a copy of Fowler's new book and it does look quite interesting. I read Chapter 7 on Distribution Strategies to see what the author had to say about distributed object architectures and he was characteristically skeptical:

"First Law of Distributed Object Design: Don't distribute your objects!" Fowler derides fine-grained distribution strategies as horribly inefficient, while recommending coarse-grained distributed objects where necessary.

What was a little weak about this position is that Fowler only paid cursory mention of SOAP. In fact, SOAP and web services are in the vanguard of promoting object distribution and show a lot of promise (amazon.com has a SOAP web-services interface to their mega online store which is available to amazon.com associates to build custom web shopping interfaces).

In this chapter, Fowler took a perspective on fine-grained, distributed objects based on the performance scenario of frequent method calls. In web-services this form of distribution is necessary because the services are available from different domains. There is nothing wrong, however, with using fine-grained object methods when the method invocations are relatively infrequent.

The bottom-line is that this book covers very important topics but you need to evaluate the author's opinions and positions carefully, using your own experience and judgement as well.

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:06 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sduskis

Companion Website

I found a website that describes Enterprise Integration Patterns. It happens to be authored by a co-worker of Fowler's...

Old Post 12-17-2002 08:47 PM
sduskis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sduskis Click here to Send sduskis a Private Message Find more posts by sduskis Add sduskis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote