Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Which book to read?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Luciano Queiroz

Which book to read?

Hi folks!

Can any one advise me of what book to buy to prepare for the exam 486?
Do you really think the books recommended by IBM are essential for my good studies?
Where can I find more resources about the whole content?

Thanks!

IBM Certified Developer - XML and Related Technologies
Sun Certified Web Component Developer for the Java 2 Enterprise Edition Platform
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-27-2002 05:54 PM
Luciano Queiroz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luciano Queiroz Click here to Send Luciano Queiroz a Private Message Find more posts by Luciano Queiroz Add Luciano Queiroz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

You must have at least UML Distilled & Applying UML and Patterns to prepare for the exam.

Whenever you find that you have difficulty understanding a particular concept in Larman & Fowler books, you can refer to other basic books on OOAD.

I highly recommend Object-Oriented Design Heuristics by Arthur J. Riel for beginners and intermediate level OO developers. Scott Ambler's Object Primer is a good read too.

Websites that you may find useful are :

www.ootips.org
www.objectmentor.com
www.martinfowler.com
www.craiglarman.com (Read : The Importance of Being Closed: The Open-Closed Principle, Protected Variation, and its Mechanisms)

You can do a search on google or vivisimo also. Also read the FAQ post on this forum.

Good luck.
Bala

P.S :
Also see the thread "Appying UML & Patterns Training Course". This is nice to have if you can afford it.

Old Post 08-27-2002 06:05 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I would also strongly recommend UML and the Unified Process: Practical Object-Oriented Analysis and Design by Jim Arlow and Ila Neustadt

This relatively new book provides an excellent description of much of the UML syntax and semantics. It is highly readable and thorough in its coverage of the UML.

Old Post 08-29-2002 01:35 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote