Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Model Driven Architecture (MDA) > MDA at work...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SZ
Administrator

MDA at work...

To learn more about how OMG MDA is really working, read an interview with Richard Hubert, the CEO of IO Software, maker of the UML tool ArcStyler. Click the more link at the bottom of the page to read the interview.

While we have seen some skepticism of MDA on these forums, this interview, which describes some real-world MDA projects, should put the doubts to rest.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-14-2003 03:34 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

ArcStyler, first impressions...

I downloaded and test-ran ArcStyler to get some impression of how far along MDA has come.

ArcStyler comes with an EJB tutorial which demonstrates a Hello World bean, transformed from a Rational Rose UML model to all the required EJB artifacts. ArcStyler right now works in conjunciton with Rational Rose. So you have to have a Rose license and you have to like Rose. Integration with other UML tools is planned.

ArcStyler did a reasonably good job creating Java EJB classes, an Ant build file and EJB XML descriptors. In addition it created a JUnit skeleton file.

One immediate downside, typical of many framework-generating tools, is that ArcStyler creates 'markers' throughout the Java source code it produces to allow developers to add processing logic to their methods. To a code purist, these markers are downright intrusive, if not ugly. Are they necessary?

Another tool which competes with ArcStyler is OptimalJ, which we are waiting to evaluate.

However, it is disappointing that TogetherSoft gets scant mention in the analysts' reports about the MDA market. Take a look at the TogetherSoft EJB development demo to get a point of comparison. This demo can be found on the following page under the title Model-Build-Deploy with ControlCenter 6.0. In short, TogetherSoft has been doing 'MDA' for close to two years now. And it is largely 'markerless' during code generations.

For a good book to understand MDA, see MDA Explained, published by Addison-Wesley. This book gives the OptimalJ perspective. Another book, Convergent Architecture plugs the ArcStyler tool.

Don't harbor any illusions: MDA is missing a key component, which is a standardized transformation language. One candidate, QVT, is still on the drawing board.

Old Post 05-20-2003 03:32 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amraam10

Hi,

I agree with your comments about creating Java EJB classes. I'm also very satisfied with this feature.

You have focused on evaluating the EJB-generator? My humble opinion is that, although this works great in ArcStyler, its strengths should be seen elsewhere.

ArcStyler is a whole package, architectural IDE, MDA tool, a lot more than only a generator. From my experience, it's solving many real development problems.

For example, it lets you use or create new model-to-model transformations (this is how you get from a PIM to a PSM, works stunning in ArcStyler). This means that you have tool for keeping two logics (business and application) separate from the technology-specific aspects.

TogetherSoft, that you mentioned, has actually never made MDA as I see it. Defining my own levels of models and easy customization of transformations is key issue in MDA and this is not so good in TogetherSoft. But since I'm missing real-project-experience with it, I'm open for another point of views too :-)

Old Post 05-28-2003 09:24 AM
amraam10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amraam10 Click here to Send amraam10 a Private Message Find more posts by amraam10 Add amraam10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Ambler

I provide a quick overview of the MDA at http://www.agiledata.org/essays/ent...iques.html#MDA. Frankly, I'm not very impressed. In the October 2003 issue of IEEE Software I'm involved in a point-counterpoint about the MDA where I have a few harsh words to say about it.

It sounds like a great idea, but I just don't see it catching on in a meaningful way.

- Scott

Old Post 08-26-2003 03:56 PM
Scott Ambler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Ambler Click here to Send Scott Ambler a Private Message Visit Scott Ambler's homepage! Find more posts by Scott Ambler Add Scott Ambler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

In contrast, Objects by Design sees significant momentum already for MDA tools and anticipates many more dramatic advances in the relatively near-term horizon.

To backup these claims, we have added a new forum - Model Driven Architecture (MDA) - where our readers can post news and information about MDA.

Please visit and add any real-world experience you have had with MDA.

Old Post 09-07-2003 05:59 PM