Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification Review Questions > Troublesome ICE Question - Confusing Expert GRASP Pattern ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Luigi

Troublesome ICE Question - Confusing Expert GRASP Pattern ?

Hi all,

I finally took the ICE test for the last time (I take the real one in two weeks) and scored a 80%. After, reviewing some of the questions I got wrong, I thought I might be missing something where I clearly thought my answer was correct. I'll post these questions individually.

As always, your viewpoint is appreciated!

Here's the third one:

There are two new requirements for IBMStore.com: discounts for damaged goods, and searches by size and color. Using Figure Sample 2, which of the following is the BEST way to extend the class diagram to handle these requirements?

a) Extend the InventoryProduct class to handle the new requirements.

b) Create a new class "PhysicalProduct" that represents an actual product in the warehouse. Associate the PhysicalProduct with its related InventoryProduct.

c) Add new capabilities to the Inventory class for the management of its Products.

d) No changes are needed due to these requirements.

Single Select - Please select the best answer (one and only one choice must be selected).

If there is a new requirement to re-stock the warehouse automatically as products are sold, how is the new requirement BEST handled?

a) Add a deliver() method to the Supplier class that uses the InventoryProduct's amountOnHand attribute to maintain the InventoryProducts in the warehouse.

b) Add "reorderLevel" and "reorderQuantity" to InventoryProduct. Create a Warehouse class that monitors the InventoryProducts' "amountOnHand", generating an order as levels drop below a "reorderQuantity".

c) Add "reorderLevel" and "reorderQuantity" attributes used by a new deplete() method in the Inventory class. Use these to generate new orders as InventoryProducts are sold.

d) Add "reorderLevel" and "reorderQuantity" attributes used by a new deplete() method in the InventoryProduct class. Use these to generate new orders as InventoryProducts are sold.

Single Select - Please select the best answer (one and only one choice must be selected.

Answer: B,C respectively. It seems by Expert this stuff should belong in the class that "knows" about it. I can see the value in the correct answers, but can someone explain the value. Expecially, for the first question. It seems a weak arguement to move some stuff to a "Physical Product" class, as opposed to say "non-physical." Why not just keep it with Inventory product?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2002 05:27 AM
Luigi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luigi Click here to Send Luigi a Private Message Find more posts by Luigi Add Luigi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Discounts should apply depending on the extent of the damage to an individual instance of a product. InventoryProduct, in contrast, would have a uniform price for instances of the product. The same goes for color and size; the generic InventoryProduct has a price which is independant of color and size. I use price as an example because of the price() method on this class; you see that price is a primary attribute of this class.

Old Post 09-18-2002 04:44 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
piygoyal

Re stock the warehouse as products are sold

I would like to say that answer to this question should be d).
Since this is the class which would hold different inventory products and can have attributes like "reorderLevel" and "reorderQuantity". These attributes can not be specified in the Inventory class. Please enlighten, as I am bogged down on this issue and have to take the test in a week's time.

Thanks in advance

Old Post 12-22-2003 09:50 AM
piygoyal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for piygoyal Click here to Send piygoyal a Private Message Find more posts by piygoyal Add piygoyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kayraman

Question On Identifying New Requirements

Hi All,
According to Information Expert (GRASP) the class which has information should fulfill the responsibility. Answer D seems to be the obvious choice, since Inventory Product has information "amountOnHand", but the answer seems to be C.
I am confused with this question, can any one help in approaching questions in line with similar nature "New Requirements", I found very little post related to this nature of questions in this forum.

Bye
Ram

Old Post 12-29-2003 04:53 AM
kayraman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kayraman Click here to Send kayraman a Private Message Find more posts by kayraman Add kayraman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
piygoyal

Hi Ram

Actual answer is D only, I took the sample test and got full 100 %. So our thought prevails.
All the best

Old Post 12-29-2003 05:17 AM
piygoyal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for piygoyal Click here to Send piygoyal a Private Message Find more posts by piygoyal Add piygoyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote