Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification Review Questions > Troublesome ICE Question - Required OO Details ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Luigi

Troublesome ICE Question - Required OO Details ?

Hi all,

I finally took the ICE test for the last time (I take the real one in two weeks) and scored a 80%. After, reviewing some of the questions I got wrong, I thought I might be missing something where I clearly thought my answer was correct. I'll post these questions individually.

As always, your viewpoint is appreciated!

Here's the first one:

Which of the following details are REQUIRED in OO diagrams?

a) Show navigability of associations in conceptual class diagrams.

b) Show different scenarios of a use case on the same interaction diagram for clear understanding.

c) Show message sequence numbers in collaboration diagrams.

d) If asynchronous messages exist in a scenario, show them in interaction diagrams.

Multiple Select - Please select all of the correct answers (this question has 2 correct choices).

Answer: C & D. However, I strongly feel the answer should be A, C. Larman states the DCD's should show navigability on pp. 293. It seems to me that option D could also be shown with activity or state diagrams, so I don't understand why D is more "required" than A.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2002 05:07 AM
Luigi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luigi Click here to Send Luigi a Private Message Find more posts by Luigi Add Luigi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

Re: Troublesome ICE Question - Required OO Details ?

quote:
Originally posted by Luigi
Hi all,

Which of the following details are REQUIRED in OO diagrams?

a) Show navigability of associations in conceptual class diagrams.

Answer: C & D. However, I strongly feel the answer should be A, C. Larman states the DCD's should show navigability on pp. 293. It seems to me that option D could also be shown with activity or state diagrams, so I don't understand why D is more "required" than A.

The Conceptual Class Diagram is the result of Object Oriented Analysis. It is also called the Business Domain Model. This artifact is part of the Analysis Model. We are NOT looking at the software from this perspective. We are abstracting the real world and representing them in a visual form for understanding of the problem domain. This is the "what" of the system.

The Design Class Diagram is the result of Object Oriented Design. This is part of the Design Model.This is the "how" of the system and takes into account everything needed to develop the software. We are now modeling the solution domain. In this artifact you could have Pure Fabrication for which there is no real world equivalent (such as applying design patterns).

Read page 599, 286,287 and 10 in Larman.

I think of it this way : Analysis Model comprises of the Domain Model and Use-Case Model in the UP artifact. Design Model comprises of the use-case realizations with interaction diagrams etc (see Larman inside cover of the book for the diagram).

Bala

Last edited by bparanj on 09-16-2002 at 06:33 PM

Old Post 09-16-2002 06:30 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luigi

I see my error

Thanks Bala...I see my error now. I misconstrued DCD to mean "Domain class diagrams" (i.e., Domain Model) instead of "Design" class diagrams. Thus, "A" would not be an appropriate choice.

Old Post 09-16-2002 08:13 PM
Luigi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luigi Click here to Send Luigi a Private Message Find more posts by Luigi Add Luigi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote