Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Object News > IntelliJ IDEA 2.0 is released
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
capecod

IntelliJ IDEA 2.0 is released

IntelliJ has released version 2.0 of their refactoring IDE called IDEA.

We use this tool extensively for our OO/Java development and love it.

For more information, see our thread - Best Java IDE?.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2001 03:38 AM
capecod is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capecod Click here to Send capecod a Private Message Find more posts by capecod Add capecod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XMLViking

Why don't you share the Refactoring Love?

Ok I'm an ex-java or well currently C# developer and I'm very familiar with the fantastic OOP'y tools that Java developers have become accustom to using during development:

UML Modeling (TogetherSoft, Rational or UMLMagic)
IDE (IntelliJ 2.0, maybe Forte....NOT Borland "boring land")

and of course the Refactoring Tools like IntelliJ!

Why can't anyone make some decent refactoring tools for C# like IntelliJ? I mean C# is hands down the most productive Object Oriented Language I have ever used. It's simply incredible.

But.......it has NO 3rd Party tool support for power developers or OOP people. Sure there are the usual snake oil "ActiveX" components but no realy productivity enhancing products.

I just recently purchased Rational XDE for .NET. Great product for C# but could be a lot better.

Modeling is difficult.
No refactoring
No enchaned printing or file type exports (jpg,bmp, html)
No interactive modle diagram exports (interactive, frame based XHTML based diagram products)

Sequencing is rather restrictive. "You must have classes built first!" All sequence diagrams are derived from a Collaboration instance "hence the need for class diagrams"

Other than that it rocks!

Please anyone e-mail if they have a Refactoring Product that will work with C# code.

NOT Find and Replace either

Eric

Old Post 03-10-2002 06:42 PM
XMLViking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XMLViking Click here to Send XMLViking a Private Message Find more posts by XMLViking Add XMLViking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

XMLViking, you may have to wait until Microsoft decides that refactoring is important before you see this in VS .NET.

In fact, this is the problem with an all-encompasing IDE - on the one hand it is easy for language authors to piggy-back on the infrastructure provided, but on the other hand, which 3rd party vendor would bother to compete with MS for what is essentially infrastructure software? After all, since there is a single OO paradigm which permeates VS .NET, it would make sense to build refactoring into the infrastructure and not do this on a per-language basis.

As far as modeling goes, I am patiently waiting TogetherSoft's answer to Rational XDE...

Old Post 03-12-2002 01:57 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XMLViking

Unhappy

I had a conference call with a prominent UML software tool company on Friday. During the course of the conference call I discussed the inclusion of a Refactoring tool into there modeling product. The Business Development Manager informed me that “I think that Microsoft has something they are working on or have out on the street for .NET. I will have one of my technical personnel call you back with the details.” was her response.

So I do believe it will take an open source movement to force MS into creating the products that developers need. Look at SUN and the J2EE community. ANT, JUnit, Tomcat , JDOM etc…these are all fantastic open source driven features that have crept there way into the Java developer mainstream as well as vendor support!

I tested out the TogetherSoft 6.0 beta….don’t hold your breath. It sucks…the .NET support is terrible. It’s the same if not worse than 5.5. It’s still beta but don’t hold your breath. I conducted an intense evaluation of TogetherSoft, Rational XDE, Rational Rose and UML Magic Draw with Rational XDE coming out on top for my current customers needs. I really like TogetherSoft products but they should stick to Java. The IDE is dog slow unless you have 512MB ram and it’s the only application open. The Beta 6.0 had a memory footprint of about 200MB in ram!

If Together created an IDE in C# for .NET it would ROCK!

Eric

Old Post 03-12-2002 04:18 AM
XMLViking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XMLViking Click here to Send XMLViking a Private Message Find more posts by XMLViking Add XMLViking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I don't think that open-source will be a major factor in the VS .NET development community. After all, how many open-source developers have 500$ to shell out for VS .NET? Don't forget that the MS business model is heavily oriented around businesses that are willing to pay for development kits.

On the other hand, open-source developers are used to getting the operating system and language environment for free (Java included). Do you actually believe that Mono (C# for Linux) will succeed (be completed and accepted)? You can be sure that the day it is done MS will have a new revision of .NET shipping which will make Mono out-of-date.

Old Post 03-13-2002 04:57 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XMLViking

I beg to differ.....

Tools like Nunit and Nant are already being used. Reflector, a very nice tool is better than anything Microsoft has at the moment.

Time will tell....

The CLR is free and you can get some nice IDE's for free as well for C#. Now that C# and the CLI are ECMA standardized you may see..dare I say it Borland C# soon!

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

Hey have you heard about ObjectSpaces for Microsoft yet?

Nice very nice...check it out if you get the chance....

Eric

Old Post 03-13-2002 07:46 AM