Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Object-Oriented Software Environments > WebSphere Studio Application Developer (WSAD)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sangeetamu

Question JCert Tracks

Hi All,

This is regarding the JCert track. I am already MCSD, SCJP and currently preparing for 486-UML exam. Plan to get JCert Level 2 Certification, I have been through the JCert site, but its not very explanative. It says that skill 2B can be "candidate's choice from any vendor at this level". Can someone explain to me what it means.
I dont want to go in for IBM VA/ Oracle JDeveloper/HP, what are the other options that I have ?

Thanx in advance,
sangeeta

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2002 07:58 AM
sangeetamu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sangeetamu Click here to Send sangeetamu a Private Message Find more posts by sangeetamu Add sangeetamu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cejac63

I am not quite sure what that means, but I have heard that that particular site hasn't been updated in awhile. But what I believe it means is that at the time, companies such as BEA, Sybase and Sun, did not have a particular company specific IDE(company tool) for applicants to get tested on. I believe Sun, may now require you to get certified on their FORTE IDE, while the other 2(BEA or Sybase) companies(who i believe don't have a company specific java application tool) will give you their certification, if you pass a test for any of the other "vender" application tools i.e. IBM, HP, Oracle.

Which to me doesn't make much since.

I mean if I passed the IBM Visual Age test, I would think I would want the IBM solution developer certificate. But If I were going to pursue "only" the BEA levels, I can see a reason to get the BEA solution developer cert.

But I believe the use of "vender" applies to only those companies participating in the jcert initiative.

Does anybody else have more information.

Old Post 03-22-2002 01:34 PM
cejac63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cejac63 Find more posts by cejac63 Add cejac63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nchollis

Hi Sangeeta

I too am working my way through the J-cert, and wondered the same thing. I was wondering if I could sit a Jbuilder exam (it was the tool I am most familiar with). I also felt that sitting the VAJ exam was a waste of time given that WSAD has just been released and will make VAJ obsolete!

I wrote to the Jcert people about the first point and got this reply:
------------
Nathan,

The term "candidate's choice" means that candidate can select an exam from
any vendor at the appropriate level. Example: At level 2B, BEA does not
offer an examination; therefore a candidate can choose to take the exam
offered at the 2B level from any of the other vendors.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Please, feel free to
contact me if you have additional questions or require more information.

----- Original Message -----
To: <jcertinfo@jcert.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 10:57 PM
Subject: Is JBuilder 5 allowed?

> Hi there
>
> I was wondering, with regard to the BEA track of the certified solutions
> developer, it mentions that a "Candidates Choice" is available for skill
2B
> of the certified solutions developer. I wasnt clear whether this exam
could
> perhaps be the Borland JBuilder 5 certification?
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nathan Hollis MCSD, SCJP2
> Consultant
> Oakton Computing

------------------

I then wrote to the same people about the second point and got this reply:

--------------------

Nathan,
IBM has in plan to developer a WebSphere Application Developer
certification in the 1st half of this year. Because the development has
not yet begone, the discussion as to how it will align to jCert has not yet
taken place. The alignment info will be included in the announcement of
the new certification. Suggest you keep an eye on the News section of
www.ibm.com/certify.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helene Untch (Dept. 305)
Program Manager, IBM WebSphere, VisualAge, and XML Certification
url: www.ibm.com/certify/
email: huntch@ca.ibm.com
phone: 905-413-5582 TL 969 fax: 905-413-5580
IBM Lab, Floor B3, Dept. 305, 8200 Warden Ave., Markham, Ontario L6G 1C7
Canada

"jcertinfo" <jcertinfo@jcert.org> on 01/21/2002 12:31:33 PM

Please respond to "jCert Information" <jcertinfo@jcert.org>

To: Helene Untch/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc:
Subject: Fw: Visual Age obsolete?

Hi Helene,
I received this email on the jCertinfo line and I was hoping that you knew
the answer.

Thanks,
Dave De Ponte
jCert Inititative, Inc.
2333 N. Broadway, Ste. 300
Santa Ana, CA 92706
jcertinfo@jcert.org

----- Original Message -----
To: <jcertinfo@jcert.org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 8:57 PM
Subject: Visual Age obsolete?

> Hi there
>
> It appears that IBM are dropping "Visual Age" to be replaced by the
> "Websphere Application Developer" line of products.
>
> Will J-cert align with this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nathan Hollis MCSD, SCJP2, UML
> Consultant
> Oakton Computing

-----------------------------------------
Hope this helps!

Nathan

Old Post 04-10-2002 10:33 PM
nchollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nchollis Click here to Send nchollis a Private Message Find more posts by nchollis Add nchollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangeetamu

Hi Nathan,

Thanx for ur reply! The information is very useful.
Means that no point in thinking about VA certification.
btw, did u complete ur 486 ?

Cheers
Sangeeta

Old Post 04-11-2002 10:25 AM
sangeetamu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sangeetamu Click here to Send sangeetamu a Private Message Find more posts by sangeetamu Add sangeetamu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I was looking around for information about WebSphere Studio Application Developer (aka WSAD) and found a good IBM press announcement which helps explain this new tool release.

WSAD is built on the new open-source Eclipse architecture, much of which was donated by IBM. What is unique about WSAD is that it unifies different aspects of web development. In IBM's words:

WebSphere Studio Site Developer provides the industry's broadest support for Web services. It includes the ability to publish to, and browse, UDDI repositories, and supports Web services for Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs). The tool is for professional developers of Web applications and sites, and delivers integration support for open Web standards including Java, JSP, XML, rich media and Web services tools. Free preview available at www.ibm.com/software/webservers/stu...eregister.html.

WebSphere Studio Application Developer the industry's first tool to integrate Java and Web development tools in a single environment. It is for developers of Java and J2EE applications who require integrated Web, JSP, XML and Web services support. Free preview available at www.ibm.com/software/ad/studioappdev; full production version available later this month.

WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer supports visual modeling and composition of applications and the building of sophisticated Java and Web adapters, in addition to standard programming tools. It is for developers and integrators of Web services and advanced Java applications that extend beyond J2EE. Available early next year.

Old Post 04-11-2002 01:02 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote