Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Object-Oriented Design and Patterns > OO Technique opinion requested
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
replaceafill

OO Technique opinion requested

Hello everybody.

I'm not very experienced in the OO world (I've read some things about it in the web, but I don't have a formal education).

I don't have access to good books about this topic (we're very poor here in El Salvador), so my only way to get information is the web and its kindness.

I need an easy and well defined methodology for OO development in order to develop a library system.

According to what I've read, OO development is divided in analysis, design and implementation. Correct me here, please.

I think that any methodology for OO development it must have these elements. I've read that some techniques are stronger in analysis but weak in design and vice versa.

What methodology do you suggets for a newbie to learn OO development and at the same time be a good (balanced in analysis and design) methodology?

If you can send me some link to useful information, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any answer.

Douglas.

PS: Sorry about my english.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-11-2003 12:58 PM
replaceafill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for replaceafill Click here to Send replaceafill a Private Message Find more posts by replaceafill Add replaceafill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nalla

Try this technique:

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~nsenthi...ondbdesign.html

Nalla

Old Post 08-31-2003 08:06 PM
nalla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nalla Click here to Send nalla a Private Message Visit nalla's homepage! Find more posts by nalla Add nalla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ipreuss

Re: OO Technique opinion requested

quote:
Originally posted by replaceafill
According to what I've read, OO development is divided in analysis, design and implementation. Correct me here, please.

That's not specific to OO - you always do this. You always need to understand the problem (analysis), decide about what the solution should look like (design) and build the solution (implementation).

Important, especially for a beginner, is that you don't do them in sequentiell phases. By building the solution, you will always have new insights about both the solution and the problem. So both the analysis and design can't be fully finished until you are also finished with implementation.

quote:
What methodology do you suggets for a newbie to learn OO development and at the same time be a good (balanced in analysis and design) methodology?

I found eXtreme Programming to be quite usefull, as it allows you to make mistakes and to correct them while you are learning. See http://www.extrememprogramming.org/ for a good starting point.

Old Post 08-31-2003 11:27 PM
ipreuss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ipreuss Click here to Send ipreuss a Private Message Find more posts by ipreuss Add ipreuss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CarlosManjarres

There are several methodologies, but I guess today there are 3 popular approaches:

1. eXtrem Programing
2. Agile
3. RUP

The Agile aproach maybe considered as sort of mix between eXtrem Programming and RUP.

For me, RUP seems to be a good process , so this is the approach I'm taking at work.
Some may say that is not suitable for small projects, however the general principles and concepts can be applied without using the IBM/Rational software to complete such projects.

I'll suggest searching quick guides to these 3 approches.
Sorry I do not have the links at this time.

Old Post 09-04-2003 01:32 PM
CarlosManjarres is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CarlosManjarres Click here to Send CarlosManjarres a Private Message Find more posts by CarlosManjarres Add CarlosManjarres to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ipreuss

"Agile" is actually a family of processes. Extreme Programming is an agile process. Others include SCRUM, Crystal, Feature Driven Develpment etc.

RUP is a process *framework*, much like a menu. You need to choose from the practices of RUP to tailor your own process. It is possible to have an agile instance of RUP, though many are not. Actually you can have an instance of RUP which looks very similar to XP.

Old Post 09-04-2003 06:40 PM
ipreuss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ipreuss Click here to Send ipreuss a Private Message Find more posts by ipreuss Add ipreuss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vsatija

Hi Guys,

I am not so much aware of Agile Process. But definitely I can comment on RUP i.e. Rational Unified Process. This process actually implements Best Practises of Software Engineering. These best practises are

1. Manage Requirements
2. Model Visually
3. Component Based Architecture
4. Develop Iteratively
5. Continuous Improvement
6. Manage Change

This process emphasis on Iterative development. As per this process there are 4 phases in a Project development life cycle
Inception
Elaboration
Conception
Transition

Each of above phases cover all the disciplines but emphasis on each discipline is different in each phase

Business Modelling
Requirements
Analysis & Design
Implementation
Testing
Change Management
Project Management
Environment

Each phase can have more than one iterations where size of each iteration varies depening upon team size but usually it is suggested to be between 3 - 6 weeks.

So lets say that we have started a project. It will start with the inception phase where we'll study whether it is feasible to do that project. 10-20% of use cases are identified and and very few are completed in this phase. Depending upon some of the requirements prototype can also be made keeping in mind that prototype will be furthur used other phases.

If feasibility has been studied and it is OK to do that. This phase ends there only and next phase elaboration is started. In this phase complete Requirements are explored in depth. Rest 80% use cases are written. It might happen that there are some changes in the requirements written in earlier iterations(phases). The work is done in iteration. The Prototype is enhanced to cater rest of the requirements. Once Requirements are complete emphasis is given in the development part. This is where construction phase starts where emphsis is more in development again in iterative manner. Next is transition phase

Main point to remember is that each iteration involves requirements till testing. Like in inception more of emphasis will be on requirements and less on testing...etc.

I hope you will find it good

Regards
Vipin Satija
vsatija

Old Post 12-22-2005 07:02 AM
vsatija is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vsatija Click here to Send vsatija a Private Message Find more posts by vsatija Add vsatija to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote