Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Books > UML certfication books
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
uday222

Question UML certfication books

I'm planning to take the Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with UML ------ Test 486 of IBM.

As a step of the training, I'm planning to take the following books.

1.UML Distilled Second Edition by Martin Fowler
2.Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object Oriented Analysis and Design and the Unified Process, 2nd Edition
By Craig Larman

Kindly let me know if there's a better step than this.

Thanks,
Uday.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-2002 02:01 PM
uday222 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for uday222 Click here to Send uday222 a Private Message Find more posts by uday222 Add uday222 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Muriel Boutefeu

Applying UML and Patterns - Buy it !

I also prepare for this certification.

I long hesitated before buying Craig's book 2nd edition.
First because I had already the 1st edition.
Second before I have already a good knowledge of OO and UML.

At the end I bought it and I don't regret it. The second edition has a lot of improvements and everything is again so well explain and summarised. You will certainly not lose your money if you buy it.

This book gives you all the steps of an iterative OO process (Vision, Requirements analysis, design, implementation,... ) but its essential goal is to explain how to make an OO design. That is how to find the classes (have a big one or some small), how to gives responsabilities to classes (their methods), how the objects will collaborate.
It is for me the only book that really explain to OO beginners how to magically create the OO design.

Now I not sure these two books are the only books to buy. It depends on your experience. If you have already an experience in an OO language, it should be enough for the examination.

Old Post 10-09-2002 08:22 PM
Muriel Boutefeu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Muriel Boutefeu Click here to Send Muriel Boutefeu a Private Message Visit Muriel Boutefeu's homepage! Find more posts by Muriel Boutefeu Add Muriel Boutefeu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uday222

Thank you

Thank you Mr. Muriel Boutefeu for your suggestion. As I'm a beginner, Craig's book second edition should suit my requirement.

Regards,
Uday

Old Post 10-10-2002 04:05 AM
uday222 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for uday222 Click here to Send uday222 a Private Message Find more posts by uday222 Add uday222 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

Video course by Larman is nice to have but is not absolutely required.

You must read for the exam, Object Oriented Project Management with UML by Murray R Cantor. IBM ICE team dynamics questions are from this book.

Bala

Old Post 11-07-2002 05:41 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uday222

Thank you

IBM ICE team dynamics questions are from this book???

Thank you very much for giving me valuable information.

Regards,
Uday.

Old Post 11-08-2002 04:34 AM
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

You are welcome. This is gem of a book. Be thorough with all the material related to the exam objectives in this book. It took me a long time to hunt this book down.

Bala

Old Post 11-08-2002 04:37 AM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johar111

Nice forum. I'm a new comer here. I have gone through Larman's first edition which I bought some times ago. Is it very necessary to buy second edition for the certification? Thanks in advance.

Old Post 12-22-2002 09:18 AM
johar111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johar111 Click here to Send johar111 a Private Message Find more posts by johar111 Add johar111 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mubo

For the certification you don't really need the book. Some guys have succeeded without it.
But for the content of the book, you really need to buy the book. It has many addition to the first version. And it is the only book which contains all the objectives for the exam.

Old Post 03-05-2003 04:43 PM
Mubo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mubo Find more posts by Mubo Add Mubo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaba

bparanj .. from?..can u bring me murray cantor book?..i m from india.the book is not availeable here/took time.... r u interested in delivering the book for me 4 a used book price?..

contact me on shaba_dil@sify.com
talk about the deal

shaba
SCJP

Old Post 03-06-2003 02:31 AM
shaba is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaba Click here to Send shaba a Private Message Find more posts by shaba Add shaba to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote