Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Tools > Microsoft Visio vs Rational XDE
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
techsatish

Microsoft Visio vs Rational XDE

hi,

We are in planning to use either Microsoft Visio or Rational XDE for reverse engineering the exist Microsoft project written in in C#.NET,VB.NET,ASP.NET.

Which one is better in terms of ease of use and effectiveness and when it comes updating the existing Model?

What about configuration managemant?

Does VSS and clearcase tools are integrated with Visio and XDE?

For using with Visual studio do they integrate tightly with existing IDE or come as a seperate applications?

Which one got all the GOF patterns as well as Web patterns?

Does both of them support UML 1.4?

Thanks in advance.
-Satish

Last edited by techsatish on 07-13-2005 at 05:21 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-13-2005 05:04 AM
techsatish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for techsatish Click here to Send techsatish a Private Message Find more posts by techsatish Add techsatish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vkkaruna

Hi,
In my opinion you can choose using the Rational XDE. Reasons...
1. XDE is more flexible in terms of forward / reverse engineering, compared to Visio.
2. Its very much integrated into the VS XDE.
3. XDE generates the .mdx files for each namespace, which can be placed into VSS along with other project files.
4. XDE keeps track of mapped .vb or .cs files for various classes, which helps you to synchronize the code and classes in either ways.
5. Visio does not generates the diagrams by reading the .vb/.cs files while doing reverse engineering.

cheers....

Old Post 01-03-2006 06:24 AM
vkkaruna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vkkaruna Click here to Send vkkaruna a Private Message Find more posts by vkkaruna Add vkkaruna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
omidi

Hi all

I am new in work on UML. my Project language offen is VB.NET.
do Rational XDE is all i require. i mean can i do all with it or i need also Rational rose enterprise some time.

tanx

Old Post 05-21-2006 12:08 PM
omidi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for omidi Click here to Send omidi a Private Message Find more posts by omidi Add omidi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote