Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Tools > Evaluation of various Modeling tools in Market
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tools_sdlc

Evaluation of various Modeling tools in Market

Hi,
This is my first posting to the group, which has arguably the best modeling Gurus in it. My problem is an age old one for you people but for me it is new. Hope to get some feedback.

I am working for a global professional IT services company with an associate base of over 12,000 people. It provides services to over 300 global customers including a large number of Fortune500 companies.

We are in the evaluation process of the various Software Lifecycle Management tools for the entire Software lifecycle. We are looking at both End to End and Best of Breed tools.

We are planning to have these tools in the Central Repository for the use of PMs and developers for various projects which may be of span from 3 weeks to 3 years (even more).

The evaluation should be based on
1) Features and support
2) The Total cost of ownership of the tool
3) Pre-requisite skills needed to use the tool and training

But all the above criteria are independent. That is we donít worry about the cost if the tool has very good features.

So I need some help for evaluating the various modeling tools. Can anyone give some info/whitepapers/websites/third party consultants review/links on this??

I know its too broad a problem but any comparative analysis would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
With Regards,
Srinivasan.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2004 07:23 AM
tools_sdlc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tools_sdlc Click here to Send tools_sdlc a Private Message Find more posts by tools_sdlc Add tools_sdlc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sure

Srinivasan,

I am not sure whether this link UML tools which is object modeling tool will be of any help or not.

http://objectsbydesign.com/tools/um..._byCompany.html

Thanks
Surender

Old Post 05-10-2004 04:54 PM
Sure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sure Click here to Send Sure a Private Message Find more posts by Sure Add Sure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tools_sdlc

Shortlist of vendors

Hi,

Thank you for spending your valuable time and responding to my message. It was really very useful to me.

We have short-listed the vendors/tools.

1.IBM Rational Rose
2.Borland Together
3.Telelogic
4. Embarcadero Describe
5. Sybase Powerdesigner
6. ca Allfusion modelling suite
7. Popkin System architect

At present I am gathering the features, which play an important role in selecting these modeling tools. If you have any links or information regarding this please send it.

If you have any side-by-side comparison of these modeling tools (like Rational Rose Vs. Borland Together, Rational Rose Vs. Telelogic etc.), Please send them.

Thanks in advance,

With regards,
Srinivasan

Old Post 05-11-2004 06:30 AM
tools_sdlc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tools_sdlc Click here to Send tools_sdlc a Private Message Find more posts by tools_sdlc Add tools_sdlc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

If you are looking for full Software Lifecycle tools then Rational and Borland have the most comprehensive tool sets and have spent the most time integrating the various tools.

It is really Rational XDE that you are interested in since Rose is being phased out.

XDE integrates well with Websphere Studio (WSAD), which in turn integrates well with Purify, CodeCoverage, Clear Case, etc.

For instance, in XDE for WSAD you can make changes to classes, add new classes, refactor, etc. Then you can reverse engineer the classes, which will automatically update your existing UML diagrams, or drag the new classes onto a new or existing diagram. Then you can run some JUnit or system tests. When you are satisfied with the changes, select the classes to check back in to Clear Case, add some release comments and submit the changes, all from within one integrated environment. Once you have used an integrated tool set, it is very hard to imagine doing work any other way.

Telelogic has also provided integration (Doors, for example).

It will be very hard for other UML tools to compete with this level of integration, although a possible strategy is to integrate with Eclipse, which in turn integrates with the other tool categories.

For a list of features for UML tools, including integrations, please see the UML Modeling Tools page on the OBD site.

Old Post 05-11-2004 12:13 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tools_sdlc

Working on features

Dear SZ,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

Currently i am working on the features that are required for our company.With these features i am trying to design a questionaire which would be very helpful in evaluating various modeling tools.

I will reply back within this week. Hope i get full response from this forum of Modeling experts.

Thanks in advance,

with regards,
srinivasan.

Old Post 05-12-2004 05:34 AM
vanagike

Thumbs up

try MagicDraw UML (www.magicdraw.com)

Old Post 05-14-2004 02:53 PM
vanagike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vanagike Click here to Send vanagike a Private Message Visit vanagike's homepage! Find more posts by vanagike Add vanagike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VOM

and Visual UML (www.visualuml.com)

Old Post 05-17-2004 04:25 PM
VOM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VOM Visit VOM's homepage! Find more posts by VOM Add VOM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tools_sdlc

Thumbs up Help needed in evaluating the tools

Hi,

I am very thankful to all the people who have responded to my message.

We have been given the task of conducting a survey from the users of Modeling tools. Hence we thought you people could help us.

We have already conducted a basic study on our requirements and we found those tools mentioned in the excel sheet were meeting our requirements.

I have attached a file with this mail. Do rank the products b/w 1-5(1 being poor, 5 being excellent) or in a suitable way and send it back to tools_sdlc@yahoo.com

If you feel there are some tools that should be evaluated, add them in the place of the tool that you are unaware of. Please do feel free to make any changes or additions, which you think will be relevant. Donít forget to give the weight to the features i.e., how important is the feature to you. You may not know/use all the features. But do fill in the relevant ones.

If any of your colleagues or friends is into Modeling tools do FWD this mail to them and get the feedback to me please.
Eagerly waiting for response from you.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Srinivasan.

Attachment: mod_eval2.00.zip
This has been downloaded 1795 time(s).

Old Post 05-20-2004 10:57 AM
RUPractitioner

Exclamation

2 tools_sdlc:

Hi,

So I need some help for evaluating the various modeling tools. Can anyone give some info/whitepapers/websites/ ...

There're lots of info but it all spreaded in 'small chunks' over the Internet, and dedicated to only one SLM (Software Lifecycle Management) or AMDC (Analysis Modeling Design Construction) suite, or other standalone/separate tools (PM, RM, CASE, IDE, testing, etc). I've never heard of such a Web site with free access, or papers for free, that provides a complete comparison/survey of two or more SLM/AMDC suites. The great example of a freely available survey for RM tools is Tools Survey: Requirements Management (RM) Tools (Ů) INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering), 2002

... third party consultants review/links on this??

Most of well known vendors you listed above have local office and/or partners (e.g:Borland, Sybase, CA, IBM, Telelogic and other brands like Oracle (Oracle Development Suite), IDS-Sheer(ARIS Toolset) --even in Russia they have both). If you contact a local one with your list of questions, i'm sure they will be glad to help you

If you have any side-by-side comparison of these modeling tools (like Rational Rose Vs. Borland Together, Rational Rose Vs. Telelogic etc.), Please send them.

Lots of info (e.g feature matrices, papers, and brief comparisons) can be found on the vendors' Web sites --some of well known or not but IMHO providing a very competitive products:

1. IBM Corp. (Rational) - 33.1%
2. Computer Associates, Inc. - 12.5%
3. Borland Software Corp. (Together) - 9.4%
4. Sybase, Inc. - 4.4%
5. Telelogic AG - 4.1%
6. Visible Systems Corp. - 2.1%
7. Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. - 2.1%
8. Popkin Software & Systems, Inc. - 2.0%
9. Oracle Corp. - 0.4%
---
10. Microsoft Corp. - n/a
11. Visual Object Modelers, Inc. - n/a
13. Gentleware AG - n/a
14. Interactive Objects Software GmbH - n/a
15. Select Business Solutions, Inc. - n/a
12. Softeam (Objecteering Software) - n/a
16. Sparx Systems Ltd. - n/a
17. Visual Paradigm - n/a
18. Goda Software, Inc. - n/a

The %% above represent market shares for AMDC -- data from Worldwide Analysis, Modeling, Design, and Construction Tools Competitive Analysis, 2003:2002 Shares and Current Outlook.
((Unfortunately, i didn't find a freely available report from IDC/Gartner that gives us more recent market shares for vendors. If you found such a report, please post URL to it here. Thanks!))

I have attached a file with this mail. Do rank the products b/w 1-5(1 being poor, 5 being excellent) or in a suitable way and send it back to ....

IMHO such polls are useless when they used an argument for practical choice because they show the totality of people that prefer/like a tool and how much they like it but not why --i.e any bud is more likely to give the highest rating to his only tool because his hadn't tried any others (e.g most of DB developers traditionally work with either one or two data modeling tools -- say, PowerDesigner (#1), Erwin (#2) or ER/Studio (#3) but there're lots of other competitive products)

I was doing quite a deep research based on my everyday work with some tools or direct testing of features/possibilities ((UI, diagramming, model exchange, model/UI/functional extensibility (scripting/plugins), model repository, integrations with other tools (RM, CM, testing, etc), code engineering, reporting, tool' help/documentation,)) of the following tools AMDC tools:

• IBM-Rational Rose & XDE VS.NET v.2002-2003;
  • Borland Together ControlCenter (eval), Together for JBuilder ed. v.6;
  • Sybase PowerDesigner v.9.x ES; v.10 ES (eval);
  • CA ErWin v.4.x, Component Modeler v.5.0 (eval); BpWin v.4.x;
  • Mirosoft Visio v.2002-2003 Pro;
  • VOM Visual UML v.2.6-2.8 SE; v.3.0(eval);
  • Sparx Systems' Enterprise Architect 3.60 CE (eval);
  • Gentleware Poseidon v.2.x CE and PE (eval);
  • Softeam Objecteering UML v.5.2.x PE (eval);

..and the following RM tools:

• IBM-Rational RequisitePro v.2002-2003;
  • Borland CaliberRM v.5

Regards,

Last edited by RUPractitioner on 05-21-2004 at 06:00 PM

Old Post 05-21-2004 05:50 PM
RUPractitioner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RUPractitioner Click here to Send RUPractitioner a Private Message Visit RUPractitioner's homepage! Find more posts by RUPractitioner Add RUPractitioner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Thanks RUPractitioner and tools_sdlc for the great contributions. We will make an effort to collect the results for display on the OBD web site.

If anybody else has some valuable feedback, please post to this thread.

As I said earlier in this thread, it is really tool integration that provides a significant edge. It has a multiplier affect, not just an additive affect.

Old Post 05-21-2004 09:58 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbates

We reviewed a majority of these modeling tools for use in the Fortune 500 firm I work for.

When paying over $1K= 3K per seat the cost is too prohibitive for widespread adoption. Even though we use Clear Quest, Clear Case and Requisite Pro we found the cost of XDE too prohibitive. We are a .NET and Java shop.

Fortunately we found a tool that fits our needs perfectly and at a cost less than $189 per seat. The user interface is superb, the round tripping excellent, and output options not bad. The tool is 28 times cheaper than its competitors. We have been able to roll it out to 20 users/modelers and plan to roll it out to 50 more.

The product is Enterprise Architect (EAP) from Sparx Systems. http://www.sparxsystems.com. I am also noticing that more and more books are using EAP in their texts (Wrox Design Patterns in VB.NET) is an example.

I am delighted that everyone can participate in the design, analysis and development. We have used Popkin, Rose and XDE in the past. We also reviewed Describe.

Old Post 05-29-2004 04:27 PM
bbates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbates Click here to Send bbates a Private Message Visit bbates's homepage! Find more posts by bbates Add bbates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Enterprise Architect 4.0 is also one of the first UML tools to support the new UML 2.0 specification.

For more information on EA 4.0, read the recent OBD interview with Geoffrey Sparks, founder and CEO of Sparx Systems.

Old Post 05-30-2004 03:13 AM