Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Questions > Actor generalization
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nman

Actor generalization

In our ABC application we have users that use the system that are divided into remote, online, read-only and then we have those that administer the system. Can I generalize the first three (remote, online, read-only) into ABC User and leave the other on its own as ABC Administrator?

A good example where I would use this is for the system login. There I would only reference ABC User and ABC Administrator. Both of which would be Primary Actors.

The roles of remote, online and read-only aren't exactly the same but very similar. In a use case where ABC User was too general I could use one of the specific child actors such as ABC Remote User. Does this make sense?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-26-2006 10:12 PM
nman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nman Click here to Send nman a Private Message Find more posts by nman Add nman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ku-Tse Cheng

In my opinion, I think it's OK to generalize 3 actors into ABC User. It will handle common parts of use-cases. But the names of three actors look unusual to me. I'm not sure if other names should be given instead.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2006 01:16 PM
Ku-Tse Cheng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ku-Tse Cheng Click here to Send Ku-Tse Cheng a Private Message Find more posts by Ku-Tse Cheng Add Ku-Tse Cheng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote