Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Questions > UML Newbie : Usecases
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SriSri

UML Newbie : Usecases

Hi,

I am new to UML and usecases.
How do we identify the usecases based on the requirements?
Do we need to have usecase for each requirment?

Say I have a requirment:

- I should be able to print the current window contents.

How can I write a usecase for that?

Can anybody give the outline of the usecase forn this requirement. Pre-Condition, Flow and Post condition.

-Sri

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-25-2004 04:55 AM
SriSri is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SriSri Click here to Send SriSri a Private Message Find more posts by SriSri Add SriSri to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Powdrhound

When Identifying Use Cases take a step back and first identify your Actors.
At the end of the day without Actors wanting to achieve certain goals we don't have any use cases.

Once you have identified the Actor and identified the goal(s) they want to achieve you will be alot further down the track and in a good position to start identifying your use cases.

In your example

- I should be able to print the current window contents.

Theres a couple of options depending on how strict you want to be in your application of UML

You could add the fact that the content must be printable to your the use case that displayed what you want to print in the first instance

or

Use case name......... Print UI content

Actor ........................????

Pre-Condition............UI Content has been displayed to the Actor (this should/could be the post condition of the use case that displayed the content)

Post Condition..........UI Content has been successully printed

Flow.................
1. Actor selects to Print the current screen content
2. System Prints current screen content.
3. The use case ends

This may seem overly simplistic but use cases do not have to be complex and often in an a case such as this one they are anything but. Keeping it fairly generic especially in this instance will also enable you to easily facilitate re-use rather than writing a 'Print screen' use case for every screen you want to print.

I hope that helps

Old Post 09-14-2005 10:11 PM
Powdrhound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Powdrhound Click here to Send Powdrhound a Private Message Find more posts by Powdrhound Add Powdrhound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vsatija

Hi,

I completely agree with Powdrhound. I would like to add more on how to identify use cases.

Following are few steps that forms the initial stage of writing use cases.
Identify Actors: These are persons/stakeholders/or any external system that interacts with our system.
Actors are categorized as Primary & Secodary. Sometimes to identify an actor you have to identify system boundaries so that anything external to the system and interacts with the system is an actor.
Identify main flows: Identify how actors interact with the system to achive a goal. This interaction leads to change in the state of the system. These flows are actually called a use case. We can break one flow into more than one use cases. It all depends upon the complexity of the use case.

One should always keep in mind that use case should be very simple to understand. The primary use cases identified form set of base use cases. These base use cases are explored in detail to form sub use cases.

I hope this is fine

Regards
Vipin Satija
vsatija

Old Post 12-23-2005 09:17 AM
vsatija is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vsatija Click here to Send vsatija a Private Message Find more posts by vsatija Add vsatija to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote