Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Courses > The Complete UML Training Course - virus
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JustineBarton

The Complete UML Training Course - virus

Help!!

I have just bought 'The Complete UML Training Course' boxed set which consists of a CD 'the UML Multimedia Cyber Classroom' and a paperback copy of 'The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual'.

After putting the CD in the slot, my Norton antivirus checking has found a virus. I haven't even got as far as trying to install !! The virus is W95.CIH.corrupt on object _ISDEL.EXE.

1. Has anybody else encountered this problem? If so what did they do? Symantic tells me to reinstall from a clean copy, but the CD obviously is my only copy.

2. If not, does anybody else have a copy of the Complete UML training Course that could mail me a copy of the _ISDEL.EXE file from the root directory of the CD.

I have been in contact with Bol.com re the virus but I have to wait for them to get back to me to see if it is a widespread problem and if they can get a virus free CD to me. Meanwhile I want to get on with the sample questions on the CD as I'm aiming to take the IBM 486 exam in a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help

Justine

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2002 03:48 PM
JustineBarton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustineBarton Click here to Send JustineBarton a Private Message Find more posts by JustineBarton Add JustineBarton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I think it is just unbelievable that Prentice Hall PTR cannot resolve this matter. I experienced the same problem, wrote them an email and did not get any satisfactory response.

So what did I do? I just put the CD on the shelf and haven't looked at it since.

Perhaps if we could voice enough discontent with this matter on this forum, Prentice Hall will provide a solution. I believe that the only solution that will work is to issue a replacement CD. If they want, we could return the original CD to them as proof of purchase.

Old Post 07-25-2002 01:39 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I found the following information on the Prentice Hall site. It seems that finally, after almost 2 years since they found the problem, they are just now starting to solve the problem.

I am including the link to get to this information but, because they use frames, you will have to navigate to the technical support page for the UML Multimedia Cyber Classroom:

http://www.phptr.com/phptrinteractive/index.html

The first solution that they propose, to disable virus checking, is unacceptable. Our position is that PHPTR must reissue CD-ROM's as soon as possible or pull the product from the market. There are too many viruses and security problems today to take any less of a position.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Technical Support for the Complete UML Training Course
Virus Warnings

(Updated 7/30/02)

The latest versions of Norton anti-virus software will indicate the presence of a W95.CIH.corrupt virus on the CD. This is actually not a virus, and your computer is in no danger of being infected by a virus as a result of running the UML CD.

In late 1999, during the original production of the UML Multimedia Cyber Classroom, the build tree became infected with the W95.CIH virus, and was immediately cleaned with Norton Anti-Virus. However, while Norton removed all of the malicious code, it left some header information which caused Norton anti-virus programs to mistakenly report the existence of a virus. In November 2001, we cleaned the files again and published updated CDs. At the time, Norton did not report the existence of a virus. However Norton recently updated their Virus definition files and it again mistakenly identifies the remaining header files as viruses. There is no virus on the UML Multimedia Cyber Classroom. Still, Norton Anti-Virus will not allow you to install or copy the CD to your hard disk, due to the erroneous virus identification.

You may disable your anti-virus program or configure your anti-virus program to refrain from scanning .exe files in order to install and use the UML Multimedia Cyber Classroom.

We are in the process of creating a new CD that will be completely clean of any virus information files. To be placed on the list to receive a new CD when ready please send an e-mail to ptgi@pearsoned.com.

And we thank you for your patience in this matter.

Old Post 09-01-2002 05:04 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mruel

Complete UML Training Course- Prentice Hall responds!

Hi All,

My name is Mike Ruel and I am with Prentice Hall PTR. I was alerted to this thread by a user with whom I am exchanging e-mails on regarding this subject.

First, I realize this is a pain in the neck situation and you have our apologies. I understand your frustration, please bear with us.

Second, please realize that this is our second attempt at solving this problem. We are not finally getting around to this issue after 2 years, as theorized. The story goes that our build tree was once infected, but we cleaned it -- however the cleaner did not remove the virus definition (header) files and Norton anti-virus picks up on these header files and returns a false positive on the virus check. There is no virus, only header files from the old, now dead virus. We addressed this issue back in March 02, and then Norton went and updated their virus definition files again in August and the issue re-surfaced.

Now, we are working directly with Norton to get rid of the virus header files once and for all. If they do not help us in a timely enough manner, we will rebuild the UML Cyber Classroom CD ASAP (and virus header file free) and get it out to all who need copies.

If you want to be on the list please contact me at ptgi@pearsoned.com.

Again, I feel for you. This totally stinks, but we will make good.

Scout's honor.

-Mike Ruel

Old Post 09-03-2002 07:26 PM
mruel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mruel Click here to Send mruel a Private Message Visit mruel's homepage! Find more posts by mruel Add mruel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Smile

Thanks Mike!

On behalf of all of our readers who have encountered this problem, I want to sincerely thank-you for your efforts to create a full solution.

As soon as we receive a fixed CD-ROM we will post a notice on our home page to get the word out. This multimedia CD-ROM looks too good to let fall by the wayside.

Note that Craig Larman just recently re-published his training course on CD-ROM. Bertrand Meyer released a training CD-ROM this year on MS .NET that is pretty good. Given that Grady Booch is another leader in OO training, it would be a shame not to have this CD-ROM out there as soon as possible.

Old Post 09-04-2002 12:16 AM
mruel

Thanks!

I am digging in to have a resolution for you by end of this week.

PS: Thanks for the kind words about Larman and Meyer, I was project manager for both of those products and I'm happy to see they are well received. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any plans in the works with Grady, but I can certainly put a bug in the ear of the powers that be.

-Mike

Old Post 09-04-2002 01:00 PM
mruel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mruel Click here to Send mruel a Private Message Visit mruel's homepage! Find more posts by mruel Add mruel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote