Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Model Driven Architecture (MDA) > MDA Discussions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chagama

MDA Discussions

There is a major thread on MDA at http://theserverside.com

Check it out and you shall see all kinds of ideas there. Might end up getting more confused than ever.

I for one feel the best way to know if its for you or not is to try it on a simple prototype and see how that goes.

Anyways, its good to know what and how it works.

My 2 cents

M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2003 01:21 PM
chagama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chagama Click here to Send chagama a Private Message Find more posts by chagama Add chagama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Rickard Oberg on MDA

The subject of the thread you refer to is Rickard Oberg's blog entry on MDA.

The interesting thing about Rickard's comments are that he is more concerned with the potential social impact to the programmer community of MDA than he is suspicious of the technical merits of MDA.

Yes, he is right. Our cozy notions of what a programmer does, which we have become comfortable with since the days of C and C++, are on the line.

However, I remember the days of assembly programming, when you felt like you programmed on bare silicon, and the transition soon after to C, when you still felt like you controlled the machine, but with a lot more ease.

Similarly, our recommendation is to go for the ride and enjoy it. You won't have to hand-code HTML, XML, JDBC and EJB's, but you will still have to build business logic. Now you will have the opportunity to write a whole lot more of it without your wrists getting sore from writing low-level data-shuffling routines.

As far as his concern with respect to programmers becoming a lower caste than MDA developers, I never felt bad because I couldn't write the C compiler. In fact, we suspect that most computer science majors will in fact write MDA translaters, just like they wrote parts of C compilers in the past. And AndroMDA is open-source, so if anybody wants to learn MDA...

Another point about open-source and MDA: Eclipse EMF has all the makings of a foundation for a whole family of MDA products because of its roots in UML and XMI. How soon until this happens?

Old Post 09-22-2003 03:29 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ipreuss

"As far as his concern with respect to programmers becoming a lower caste than MDA developers, I never felt bad because I couldn't write the C compiler. "

I don't know much about MDA - am I understanding you correctly that you are putting the platform specific templates used to generate code from the platform independent model into the same bag as the C compiler?

If so, then I think the interesting question is whether those templates really will be as generic as a C compiler, or will they need to be adjusted to specific applications?

Old Post 09-22-2003 04:31 PM
ipreuss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ipreuss Click here to Send ipreuss a Private Message Find more posts by ipreuss Add ipreuss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chagama

Customization

These are all the observations that I had after a discussion with someone using MDA.

The code will be generated to the most extent. It might/will need some tweaking especially with the placement of business rules, etc.

Currently, I believe there is no clear integration of the MDA tools with WorkFlow or RulesEngines. So, this might be one area that some customization might be needed.

Also, the vendor's runtime libraries are needed for the various parts to work together. Especially to handle the context between the code generated for the presentation and the business tier.

To answer the C compiler analogy, I believe it will not be as generic.

I will shortly be starting using one of the MDA tools at home on a R&D basis after a couple of weeks from now.

Will post my thoughts after that.

Thanks
M

Old Post 09-22-2003 11:10 PM
chagama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chagama Click here to Send chagama a Private Message Find more posts by chagama Add chagama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

To continue the C compiler analogy, really only a portion of the compiler is generic (lexer, parser, intermediate code), while the real workhorse - machine code generation and optimization - is very platform (machine) specific. MDA is not so far from this model.

A lot of the mystery comes out of MDA when you strip away all the terminology that the OMG put into it and realize that the basic unit being translated is an object model described in XMI. See our Transforming XMI to HTML for a flavor of what this involves.

See the link above for Eclipse EMF, which fully supports XMI. Our guess is that this will become a hub for many MDA products, which will generate platform specific code as plugins to Eclipse.

Old Post 09-23-2003 02:05 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chagama

New Blogs

Here are Rickard's most recent thoughts. Interesting reading when compared to his previous blog entries.

http://roller.anthonyeden.com/page/...s_including_mda

Later
M

Old Post 09-23-2003 02:30 PM
ipreuss

quote:
Originally posted by SZ
To continue the C compiler analogy, really only a portion of the compiler is generic (lexer, parser, intermediate code), while the real workhorse - machine code generation and optimization - is very platform (machine) specific.

But it's still not application specific - you don't need to customize the compiler to your application and don't need to touch the generated executable.

From the above comments, this seems to be an essential difference to MDA.

Old Post 09-23-2003 04:11 PM
ipreuss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ipreuss Click here to Send ipreuss a Private Message Find more posts by ipreuss Add ipreuss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
developerwiz

Thumbs up Its the code, silly

I have been using OptimalJ for a short while now.

The MDA has the same promise CASE tools offered - top-down design driven approach to development of complex systems.

There is alternative approach that works - bottom-up code-centric approach. Examples include XP, RUP and many others that promise creating good quality clean code that translates into good quality system that is easy to maintain.

I think the devil is in the details - the generated code. When OptimalJ and other MDA tools generate decent quality code it will become apparent that MDA really works.

The current state? Well it is almost there not quite but the tool has a great promise

What do you think?

Old Post 03-16-2004 01:14 AM
developerwiz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for developerwiz Click here to Send developerwiz a Private Message Visit developerwiz's homepage! Find more posts by developerwiz Add developerwiz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote