Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification Review Questions > Troublesome ICE Question - Deployment Diagram ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Luigi

Troublesome ICE Question - Deployment Diagram ?

Hi all,

I finally took the ICE test for the last time (I take the real one in two weeks) and scored a 80%. After, reviewing some of the questions I got wrong, I thought I might be missing something where I clearly thought my answer was correct. I'll post these questions individually.

As always, your viewpoint is appreciated!

Here's the fourth one:

Which of the following is TRUE about a deployment diagram?

a) Since there is always some kind of response to a message, the dependencies are two-way between

deployment components.

b) Dependencies between deployment components tend to be the same as the package dependencies.

c) Deployment diagrams are NOT to be used to show physical modules of code.

d) Deployment diagrams do NOT show physical distribution of a system across computers.

Single Select - Please select the best answer (one and only one choice must be selected).

Answer: B. While I agree with B, C seems to be "more" true to me. Strictly speaking, Deployment diagrams show nodes and connections, not modules of code -- that is a component diagrams duty. While transitively, if you superimpose a component on a physical diagram, C would no longer apply, but I looked at the question in the strictest sense. Thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2002 05:35 AM
Luigi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luigi Click here to Send Luigi a Private Message Find more posts by Luigi Add Luigi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

I use Schaum's Outline for UML these days to quickly nail down notation specifics.

On pages 275-277 it describes deployment diagrams and includes the following statement:

Instances of components can be shown residing on nodes in deployment diagrams. Only run-time components are shown: source files that will be compiled into program executables do not appear in deployment diagrams, but the executables do. Components can be shown either by nesting them within the node or by joining them to the node with a dependency stereotyped <<support>>...

From the UML 1.4 Specification:

A deployment diagram is a graph of nodes connected by communication associations. Nodes may contain component instances. This indicates that the component runs or executes on the node. Components may contain instances of classifiers, which indicates that the instance resides on the component. Components are connected to other components by dashed-arrow dependencies (possibly through interfaces). This indicates that one component uses the services of another component.

So the answer is, yes, you do show components on a deployment diagram and hence, answer C is false.

I would add, though, that answer B is far from obvious.

Old Post 09-18-2002 04:16 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

Re: Troublesome ICE Question - Deployment Diagram ?

quote:
Originally posted by Luigi

c) Deployment diagrams are NOT to be used to show physical modules of code.

Single Select - Please select the best answer (one and only one choice must be selected).

Answer: B. While I agree with B, C seems to be "more" true to me. Strictly speaking, Deployment diagrams show nodes and connections, not modules of code -- that is a component diagrams duty. While transitively, if you superimpose a component on a physical diagram, C would no longer apply, but I looked at the question in the strictest sense. Thoughts?

I agree with you, C is true. According to Fowler you can combine Component and Deployment Diagrams, so only when you superimpose the diagrams you will be able to show the physical modules of code. Deployment diagrams by itself will not allow you to see that.

Bala

Old Post 09-19-2002 09:27 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Bala, I have to disagree with you on this point. The section from the UML 1.4 standard I excerpted earlier in this thread is very clear that deployment diagrams may show components. Schaum's is also very clear on this point.

I looked at Fowler and would have to say that he was not being rigorous in his terminology of 'superimposing the diagrams'. That sounds very ad hoc. The UML standard itself is far more rigorous, specifying exactly what elements may appear on each diagram. In this case it is clear that deployment diagrams may show components.

Also, the UML Reference Manual (3 amigos) also states that the components in a deployment diagram may also contain named objects.

Old Post 09-20-2002 03:23 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luigi

The Fowler book is pricisely what I was reacting to when I made my statement and answered (C). So what I am reading from SZ's post is that by "superimposing" or adding components to a node, (C) becomes incorrect.

Thanks for the feedback on this one...

BTW, I picked up Schuam's outline yesterday and it has more thorough coverage of UML. I'm a 9 days away from taking the exams, any suggestions on areas I should focus on from the book? From the practice test it doesn't seem like you need much beyond Fowler's book with the exception of this question and the one Sequence Diagram stick (flat) arrowhead question.

Old Post 09-20-2002 04:30 PM
Luigi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luigi Click here to Send Luigi a Private Message Find more posts by Luigi Add Luigi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

quote:
Originally posted by SZ
Bala, I have to disagree with you on this point. The section from the UML 1.4 standard I excerpted earlier in this thread is very clear that deployment diagrams may show components. Schaum's is also very clear on this point.

Also, the UML Reference Manual (3 amigos) also states that the components in a deployment diagram may also contain named objects.

Hi,

There is a disclaimer in Fowler's book which states that if there is anything is his book which conflicts with the UML standard, then the UML document is the one to follow. So, I agree with you on this point.

Bala

Old Post 09-20-2002 05:33 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote