Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Passed the Test
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rpdatta

Passed the Test

Hi All,
I passed the test last week with 70%. Let me share my experience with everybody.

1) I found the test to be more difficult than the ICE exam but it may be because one gets used to ICE. Some of the questions were confusing.

2) The main problem I had was time. Due to a problem on the machine in which I was taking the test for the first hour or so I did not get to see how many correct answers were needed for a particular question ( a different application icon was coming at the lower left corner which the exam proctor said could not be moved. So I was guessing on the no. of correct answers. After about half the time, inadvertently I moved the icon and found that the no. of correct answers was being shown. Then I had to take corrective action on all the questions.

3) I took the advice from this forum and attempted all the questions without exhibits first. Finished all the questions with only about 5 mins left.

4) BTW I must say that I am not involved and have no working experience with OOAD or UML. Frankly speaking I don't know or have any experience with Java or any OO language. I have a Ph.D in physics and have lot of coding experience but mostly using procedural languages like Fortran and C applied to simulation and modelling problems in physics.I am involved in preparing course material for IT training right now and had to prepare something on OOAD and UML. While searching for material I came across a book by Meilir Page Jones and really enjoyed the first few chapters. Later I came across this forum and have been following it for some time.

5) I followed the guidelines given in this forum and read the Larman and Fowler book. I did not find Larman very interesting to read and in fact never got past chapter 23. However it had a lot of content and I referred back to it while trying the ICE questions and Bala's and CFW's questions. The Fowler book was more succinct. I also found Ezequiel Cuellar's (I guess SZ also contributed to these) notes and the Tips from Whizlab helpful (I do not have Whizlab product, too expensive here in India, only got the Tips rom trial version).

6) Overall, I would say if you understand the basics well you can pass the exam. To score well one needs real experience with OO languages and using OOAD in projects. I didn't have any experience. My strategy was to get the passing marks from the portions which I could do without real experience. I must say I have learned a lot. In the process of preparing I have really gained valuable knowledge and I feel IBM's objectives for the exams are excellent. I feel confident to be able to tackle a real life project now with the knowledge that I have gained.

Once again thanks to everyone in this forum.

R.P.Datta

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-19-2003 01:06 PM
rpdatta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rpdatta Click here to Send rpdatta a Private Message Find more posts by rpdatta Add rpdatta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kayraman

Thumbs up Congrats

Hi Datta
Congragulation, for attaining the certificate. I need some clarifications. Can you help in it, since i am planning to take the certificate.

1. How different it is from ICE examination. Where you faced problem in the real exam.
2. In what domain the questions where focused.
3. How should i take examination from India. What is the examination fee and where should i take it.

Bye
Ram

Old Post 05-20-2003 05:55 AM
kayraman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kayraman Click here to Send kayraman a Private Message Find more posts by kayraman Add kayraman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rpdatta

Hi Kayraman,
Let me try to answer ur queries:

1)It is not very different from the ICE test. Some questions were confusing like in the ICE test though most of the questions were clear I would say.
2) I don't remember how the questions were distributed within the domains .
I really did not face any major problems with any particular domain, apart from time and that too because of
a problem that I faced during the exam as mentioned in my mail.
3) In India you can take the test at any Prometric Center. The cost is 75 USD which turns out to be Rs. 3750/- .
4) This forum definitely gave me the confidence. Particularly Panji's mail stating that the exam is not very hard helped me a lot. I took his advice and stressed on understanding the basics. That really helped.
5) My suggestion read the Fowler book really well and get the basic concepts as much as u can from Larman. It is good to read Larman cover to cover but I did not. I think there is a lot of stuff there which may not be required for the exam. Try out the ICE Test, Bala's and CFW's questions and the Larman notes posted in this forum.

Good luck for the test.
R.P.Datta

Old Post 05-26-2003 06:56 AM
rpdatta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rpdatta Click here to Send rpdatta a Private Message Find more posts by rpdatta Add rpdatta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missmallikashah

congrats Datta..

first of all i congratulate u for clearing the exam..
i m mallika..i m totally new to UML..have planned to give IBM's exam 486(UML)...before that i completed SCJP 5.0...

what are ICE questions and Bala's and CFW's questions.
can u plz give me links for these...also i dont know abt Ezequiel Cuellar
plz help me ..i have startd reading.. i m in a phase of understanding the concepts ..it seems its totally theortical paper..is it so???

redgs,
mallika

Old Post 05-04-2006 04:15 PM
missmallikashah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missmallikashah Click here to Send missmallikashah a Private Message Find more posts by missmallikashah Add missmallikashah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote