Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Passed exam with 91%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Timothy Lipetz

Smile Passed exam with 91%

These are notes on my experiences preparing for and taking the UML/OOAD certification exam.

Results:
You get results immediately. Your score is broken down by category, but you do not find out how you did on individual questions. For example, I missed one question in Development Practices, one in Static Modeling, and three in Requirements, and I got all the questions in Architecture, Dynamic Modeling, and Design/Implementation. I passed with 91%.

Opinion of Test:
I thought it was a better constructed test than the practice test. (I got 82% and 86% the two times I took the ICE practice). Most of questions were less ambiguous and I was able to figure out what piece of knowledge I was expected to apply to answer a given question. Many of the questions revolved around the design of a ticket processing system, which was well explained and designed. I understand that the particular questions and examples can vary from test to test. There is a short tutorial which walks you through the steps of a typical exam. Go ahead and take the tutorial even if you think you know it - it will help get you acclimated to the facilities. The GUI for the test is reasonable and gives you adequate opportunity to review earlier questions. I did spend some time jumping back an forth between question windows and one or more exhibit windows, but it was not that bad. One detail: for a question with several answers, you will be warned if you try to give more answers than requested, but you will not be warned if you give too few answers.

Facilities:
Took it at Caspian in Columbus, OH. Signup and facilities were good (17" monitors!) with two exceptions. 1) The print out that the host had said I would have 2:30 hours for the test - it is actually 2:15. 2) The monitors were set on 60hz refresh in a room with fluorescent lighting, so there was pronounced flicker which was very distracting. I asked about that afterwords and
the host said that they were aware of it but that the hardware setup was specified by Prometrics and they could not change it. I did send a note to Prometrics about that.

Preparation:
Reading (50hrs) - Fowler (UML Distilled) twice, Larman twice, Sams UML in 24 Hours skimmed
Practice Tests (18hrs) - ICE twice, CFW twice and BParanj twice
Ran a study group (8hrs) - with others at work, highly recommended
General review (20 hrs)

Previous Related Experience:
Reading - Surviving OO Projects by Cockburn, Java Objects by Barker, Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML by Rosenberg&Scott, Refactoring by Fowler, Unified SW Dev Proc. by 3 amigos, Several Pattern books (GoF, Patterns in Java, Core J2EE Patterns), Numerous C++, Java, and J2EE books.
On the job - C++ since 1985 (back when it was called "C with Classes"), Java since 1996 (v1.0), Server side Java since 1998, CRC cards and Use Cases on occasional projects since 1992.

Recommended preparation:
Don't expect to pass by winging it - set up a study plan.
Read Fowler and Larman twice each - Fowler first
Take all three practice tests twice - once fairly early (maybe after first read of Fowler) - don't take questions too seriously as many are ambiguous or even logically impossible, just treat the tests as study aids and they will be of value. Retake the practice tests a few days before the real thing.
If you can arrange it, set up study sessions with others. I organized ours around discussion the questions in the CFW and Bparanj practice tests.
Get plenty of sleep the night before.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2003 07:08 PM
Timothy Lipetz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Timothy Lipetz Find more posts by Timothy Lipetz Add Timothy Lipetz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,

Superb score Timothy!! geting 91% is really a tough job. U did it means u meant it !!! Does the exam folllows one major Domain(i think urs was ticketing system) and is there some minor domain probems too?
What do u say about Larman 2nd edition chapters 30-38, does all are impotant or it's better if u tell us most important. How Layer pattern helps u? Did u read all 23 patterns from GoF or selected ones? Plz tell the names.

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 02-14-2003 08:56 PM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr Iftikhar

Many Congratulations

Congratulations

Excellent score dear.

Can u plz tell about how many questions are on design patterns. And which are the major design patterns with respect to exam.
Thanks

Old Post 02-15-2003 01:07 AM
Mr Iftikhar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Iftikhar Click here to Send Mr Iftikhar a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Iftikhar Add Mr Iftikhar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Timothy Lipetz

All,

Thanks again for the support in this forum. I know it helped my study efforts.

To answer your questions:

- Yes the exam was pretty good about following one domain. This really saved time when it reused some long paragraph requirements description or some complicated diagram. After a few questions I knew just where to look for my answer without having to re-read the whole thing. There were a few questions from other domains, but those did not have the long complicated exhibits and so were easy to deal with.

- End of Larman (chapts 30-38) There was some of this material, but it was not the major focus.

- Patterns. Several patterns were mentioned in the test and I had to recognize how a diagram represented the named pattern. Again, this was not a major focus of the test. I have read GoF, but I may be one of the few people who think the book is not that well written (even though I give it credit for starting a movement). I thought the presentation of Patterns in Larman was much better. Either reading should be sufficient however.

Hope all this helps others prepare and thanks again.

Tim

Old Post 02-18-2003 09:32 PM
Timothy Lipetz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Timothy Lipetz Find more posts by Timothy Lipetz Add Timothy Lipetz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,
Thanks for your participation. We hope you will stick around and assist people preparing for exam

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 02-19-2003 11:14 PM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashikuzzaman

Smile

congrats and thanks for the informative post!

Old Post 03-24-2003 12:40 PM
Ashikuzzaman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashikuzzaman Click here to Send Ashikuzzaman a Private Message Visit Ashikuzzaman's homepage! Find more posts by Ashikuzzaman Add Ashikuzzaman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rpdatta

I am planning to take the test and one point mentioned in the forum caught my attention.
Does the test clearly mention the number of correct answers to a given question?
It was mentioned in this forum that if you tick more than the no. of correct answers you will be warned, but not otherwise.
Please clarify.
Thanks
RPD

Old Post 04-08-2003 11:54 AM
rpdatta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rpdatta Click here to Send rpdatta a Private Message Find more posts by rpdatta Add rpdatta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote