Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Cleared with 91%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ruta

Cleared with 91%

Hi All,

I cleared the 486 exam with 91%...and I owe it to this forum.
The exam was not too diificult, but one needs to be alert and have his fundamentals strong.
I lost out on Architecture, Requirements modelling and one in Dynamic modeliing.
The remaining three sections were 100%.

I would like to thank this forum for its great help in preparing for the exam, esp bala's 100 questions, and notes from ezequiel cuellar,cfw, SZ...

My preparation went as follows:
Prep Time: 10 days - 3-4 hours daily
(this suited me fine coz i could juggle it with my office hours)
After giving the preassessment test, I read Larman's book cover to cover. (Deal with high risk difficult usecases first )
Many avoid this book coz of its size, but once u get started, this is a quick read. Larman's style is great and I could identify a lot with many of his insights having worked in XP. I would strongly recommend this book for everyone preparing for the exam, my suggestion is do not break the flow by reading imp chapters only. Total time for this reading was 18 hours.
Then I read Fowler - which is again a must read.(time taken 9 hours)
Took Bala's 100 question test
Read notes from ezequiel cueillar,cfw, SZ...this is a quick revision and i recommend it as very helpful last minute reading
No wizlabs for me..
Gave the preassessment test again. scored 86% only..even after all the study .then found all the right answers.
Revised from the 2 books just before the actual exam.(2 hours).

Its very easy to clear, once u have prepared the above. But scoring a 100% is difficult, sometimes questions may lack enough details and the answers may be debatable.

All the best for those preparing..

Thanks again
Regards
Ruta

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2003 10:33 AM
Ruta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ruta Click here to Send Ruta a Private Message Find more posts by Ruta Add Ruta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,
Tremendous score Ruta...!
Well i am going through each and every chapter but however i want to know the high risk chapters of Larman 2/e a/c to exam point of view.Could u plz mention those?
What is ur strategy while attemting the exam.Some said leave all exhibits in first iteration. Some said leave complex and tough questions in first iteration.

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 01-23-2003 10:41 AM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ruta

Hi Viki,
IMO, The chapters that are most important are(2nd Edition) :
2,9,15,16,17,18,19,22,23,30 to 33,36

As per my policy, I did not leave the complex questions in the first round..And most of my questions had exhibits, so it didnt make sense leaveing those too. I gave considerable thought to every question and still finished anwering them in 1 hr 40 mins. So there was enough time to review the answers.

Quirte a few questions were related to a particular domain.Hence if u study the UML artifacts for the domain once carefully, u might spend more time on the first question, but other questions go much faster.

Most of the non domain related questions are either related to notation,architecture or development process and are generally quite straightforward.

I liked Larman's book becaus it deals with POS example throughout and thus helps to deal with the domain related questions.

One has to be very careful while reading the questions.they can get tricky...during the review i realised i hadnt clearly understood or misinterpreted a few questions.

There may be questions like: Identify all possible classes that can be implemented as singletons from the exhibit given.
One should be able to apply the knowledge of notations to answer such questions.

All the very best for ur preparations.

Regards
Ruta

Old Post 01-23-2003 12:08 PM
Ruta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ruta Click here to Send Ruta a Private Message Find more posts by Ruta Add Ruta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote