Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Passed UML test with 79%... a big relief!!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sreeni

Passed UML test with 79%... a big relief!!!

Hi All,
I have been a silent member of this forum for the last two months. This forum really helped me to clear the test. I thank each and everyone of the contributors of this forum specially Bala, SZ, cfw, Ez Cuellar and many unknown friends.

I got 79 %. I have prepared for two months. May be 10 to 12 complete days and 3-4 hours average on the remaining days.

I do have some real life OO experience but not much. But I have a good grasp of OO concepts before preapring for this test. Now I feel really good at OO concepts.

Here is my feedback which may be helpful for others.

(1) The test is really tougher than the sample test. May be we feel that because we took IBM sample test many times. So, while doing IBM sample test, you already knew the questions. But in real test we don't know any of the questions, so that is why we might be feeling it difficult.

In the actual test, there are nearly 25 to 30 exhibits. It takes lot of time to understand the scenario. But the good thing is many are repeating. So don't worry too much on this. Many of the exhibits I got were about UNIVERSITY COURSE REGISTRATION.

(2) Best thing to do is, skip the tougher questions or questions with big exhibits for the first time. Attempt all the questions you can do easily and later come back to the tougher questions.
I felt the time was not sufficient. I was not fully satisfied with my answers for some of the questions.

Don't spend too much time on one question. Spending more than 3 to 4 minutes on a question may not do good for you. Some of the exhibits may be bigger, but concentrate on the portion what you require for the question. Then it may be simple.

(3) If any question has three answers, then try this using elimination process. So to do a question with 3 answers, decide which can never be correct and then choose all the remaining three correct answers. In many questions, elimination helps a lot to answer.

Recommendations for the test:
(1) Read Fowler.
(2) Read Larman.
(3) Read Ez Cuellar summary notes.
(4) Do IBM sample test.
(5) Spend some time on the questions and answers in this forum.
(6) Do Bala's 100 questions and answers.
(7) Do cfw's 100 questions and answers.

Knowing answers will not help you much. But you should
understand the concept behind each question. They are really tricky. Sometimes the answers have really subtle differences which is difficult to grasp.

(8) Whiz lab preparation also helps. Basically after going through the above two books, you may get really good idea about many concepts. But we can't be really sure unless our understanding is tested. So doing more questions will help you to understand the concepts in a better way.

(9) I recommend repeating steps (1) to (7) second time. When you read this books second time, it won't take much time and concentrate on the concepts which you felt difficult. These books are really good. If you really want to understand and be very comfortable with test, the you may read these books 3 to four times. But before doing so, I would recommend you spending some time (just browse) through some other books on Desing patterns (which are simple and easier).

I hope this may help some of the new buddies. If you really knew to OO world, spend some time on reading some simple books like SAM's etc. Otherwise it may become tough to understand Fowler and Larman. To read these books, you should have some kind of understanding of OO concepts.

I once again thank each and everyone of the contributors of this forum.

Thank you very much,

Sreeni

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2003 05:22 PM
Sreeni is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sreeni Click here to Send Sreeni a Private Message Find more posts by Sreeni Add Sreeni to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,
Great Score Sreeni

Thanks for give indepth experience.It's quite detailed and have some really usefu insights.I would like to ask some questions.

1: As u said we leave all tough and long exhibit questions in first iteration and then come back to these questions.Does we have got enough time to attempt these questions?

2: Are there any questions which are asking just purely about UML diagrams?.

3: Which Larman(2/e) Chapters u recommend a "Must Read"

4: I am confusing in understanding EBP explained by Larman.It will be helpful if you elaborate it with some good example.

Thanks in advance,
I hope u will stuck here but not as a silent member.B/c if u were silent then how we will get our answers?

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 01-13-2003 06:27 PM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sreeni

Hi Vikrama,
Thanx. I am trying to answer some of your questions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q1: As u said we leave all tough and long exhibit questions in first iteration and then come back to these questions.Does we have got enough time to attempt these questions?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A1. Yes. If you find any question difficult or needs more time, then just skip it for the first time. When you are looking at a question, you should be able to decide within 10 to 15 seconds approximately whether you would be able to answer it easily or not. If you can answer , then answer it else skip it and come back to it later.

The idea is answer all the easy questions first and then come back to the tougher questions later (This is purely from the point of view of passing the exam and getting as much score as possible). The intention is, if you are struck in a complicated question, you might lose time and you may not have chance to answer easy questions which may be there.

In my first 7 questions, I could answer only two questions confidently for the first time. I was really afraid then. Then I thought, I should save as much time as possible by not spending much time on complicated questions. I repeated this in the next iterations also. I know that some of the questions would be challenging my understanding, then I skipped them even to the third round. At one time, I remember having 16 questions unanswered with 1 hour and 10 minutes on hand. So, it's your plan how you would execute it and also depends on your skills.
I remember that I have gone through most of the questions three times within the stipulated time.

==============================================
Q2: Are there any questions which are asking just purely about UML diagrams?.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A2: There are some questions. These kind of questions are the easier questions. I remember that I had some 10 to 15 easy questions.

But don't worry about these. You can go through Bala's questions, cfw's questions for practise.

You would be able to do with easy questions. But the trick is with long questions where we have to comprehend before answering. So if you can get any kind of such questions, you can try them.
=============================================

Q3: Which Larman(2/e) Chapters u recommend a "Must Read"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A3: I recommend reading Larman completely.
I read 500 to 550 pages of Larman twice. But to be comfortable atleast go through the book completely atleast once.

I recommend reading Fowler, Larman, Ez Cuellar's notes twice atleast. If you can do more, it's better. I also going through the book when you try to answer some of the questions.
============================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q4: I am confusing in understanding EBP explained by Larman.It will be helpful if you elaborate it with some good example.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A4 : I am just trying. Hope it helps.

Larman says EBP is a work done by one person at one place at a time (If I remember the definition correctly.) and which has some business value.

Suppose there is a mover company. A customer contacts mover company and asks them to move his/her material from one place to another place. Suppose there is a booking clerk at transportation company who books such orders. Now, the booking clerk takes all the information from customer like his name, some ID, Move from location details, Ship To Location details, when needed, any other special requirements etc . After all the information is taken, then the booking clerk books an ORDER.

This whole process of booking an order can be called a EBP. It involves 5 to 10 actions performed by a person to achieve some business goal. BOOKING ORDER is just one process. Just taking name or just taking Ship to location details or just taking Move from location details is not an EBP though these are actions performed at one place at one time by a person. But altogether, it is an EBP because it has some value to business (only if all the actions are combined).

Like suppose you are also required to PRINT a document in accomplishing a goal. In your project , PRINT can't be an EBP. Here PRINT is just one small action. But if you consider the same PRINT in a software tool project, where they are required to initiate an action from CPU to printer, acknowledgement from a printer, send the data stream to printer from CPU and process back and forth.........Here PRINT will be an EBP in softeare tool project. So, I believe it all depends on the situation also.

Hope it helps.

If there is anything wrong, someone please correct me.

Thanks,

Sreeni.

MCSD
Sun certified Programmer in Java
IBM ceritified OOAD and UML

Old Post 01-13-2003 09:49 PM
Sreeni is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sreeni Click here to Send Sreeni a Private Message Find more posts by Sreeni Add Sreeni to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shweta

Hi ,
That's a great score.
I intend to take up this certification.
Could you please help me by giving me some inputs.
I would like to know the best way to start out.
I am new to OOAD and UML.
It would really nice if you could help me out.

Thank You

Old Post 01-17-2003 10:00 PM
Shweta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shweta Click here to Send Shweta a Private Message Find more posts by Shweta Add Shweta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ravi Kiran

Where can I find the Bala's 100 Questions and Answers

Hi ,

I am Ravi and I am new to this forum. I would like to take this test. Sreeni was referring to Bala's 100 Questions and Answers and CFW's 100 Questions and Answers. Where can I find them?

Ravi

Old Post 01-28-2003 12:21 PM
Ravi Kiran is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ravi Kiran Click here to Send Ravi Kiran a Private Message Find more posts by Ravi Kiran Add Ravi Kiran to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sreeni

Hi Ravi Kiran,
This is the link which will help you to get some material needed for this exam.

http://www.objectsbydesign.com/tools/certification.html

This has all the links to Bala's question answers, cfw's question answers, ez cuellar notes, IBM sample test site, recommended preparation.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Sreeni

MCSD,
Sun certified Java Programmer,
IBM certifed in OOAD

Old Post 01-31-2003 11:22 PM