Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > passed with 86%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bdaici

passed with 86%

i passed the test today with 86%. a few thoughts:

- the test was tougher than and different from the pre-asessment test

- although some mentioned that a single domain (ex bank, university)
is used throughout the test as source for ooad questions, in my case
there were 4-5 contexts, although one of them occured more than the others

- preparation sources:
- Larman ed2
- Fowler
- Wizlab or so (just the free stuff)
- uml notes and tests from objectsbydesign.com

- the insight of people like bala, stephen hosking, itgal etc (sorry
if i missed some names) helped a lot. thank you

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-09-2003 08:32 PM
bdaici is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bdaici Click here to Send bdaici a Private Message Find more posts by bdaici Add bdaici to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
victorgu

How useful is Larman's book?

Congrats!

I am wondering if we need to take a good look at this book. It seems its is hard to read. Thx

Old Post 01-10-2003 03:08 AM
victorgu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for victorgu Click here to Send victorgu a Private Message Find more posts by victorgu Add victorgu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdaici

Larman's book was very useful to me. It probably scares you at first because it's pretty thick. However, even the book is written in an iterative manner, that is, it reviews, the already discussed items, from a slightly different angle. This helps clarify the conveyed idea and increase its cohesion. After I read it once I only went through certain sections of it over and over again, based on feedback I was getting from test results. All in all, it was definitely worth it.

Old Post 01-10-2003 11:56 AM
bdaici is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bdaici Click here to Send bdaici a Private Message Find more posts by bdaici Add bdaici to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,
Great job done man!.Infact superb score .

Did u use OOAD@Whiz full simulator or just sample exam for free?.

Secondly which chapters of Larman did u rate "Most Important".?

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 01-11-2003 09:52 PM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdaici

Hi, Vikrama

1. I used the OOAD@Whiz Trial version - that is, only the free stuff

2. Chapters of higher importance, in my opinion:

1, 2, 4-6, 8-12, 14, 16, 18-20, 26,27, 30-33, 36, 37

Actually, I selected the chapters containing sections I reviewed more often. The whole book, however, contains bits of wisdom and valid info scattered throughout its content. It's not a good idea to skip chapters.

Old Post 01-12-2003 01:14 PM
Vikrama

Hi,
Yeah i am not going to skip chapters but will look the important chapters more.This is the reason i am asking.
What about your views about EBP chapter 6.Did you get the concept of EBP which Larman is trying to convey?.If yes then please throw some light!.

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 01-13-2003 08:31 AM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdaici

hi, viki

i reviewed chapter 6 of Larman's book, and it seems to me that there are a couple of things standing out:

1) there's no strict distinction between ebp and non ebp use cases, that is, you cannot either pass or fail a use case based on the definition found in the book; rather, you would set your boundaries for your actual situation, or, as Larman sais, "find the dominant level in requirements analysis for an application"; that is, the level of granularity that you feel most confortable with for your application

2) based of my experience, I've always strived to get from customers the real need hidden underneath their verbalization. the customer usually mixes parts of the real goal with some technical or other type of details; it looks to me as very important to ask the customer questions such as "what are your goals?" (Larman) or what are you trying to achieve?, until you feel comfortable that their answers include a kernel of business value - something useful for his business, that would justify his salary or time spent.

well, these are the two main ideeas I got from Larman's text.

cheers,
ben

Old Post 01-14-2003 01:59 AM