Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > passed 486 with 76%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
a_java2

passed 486 with 76%

Hello Guys,

I posted very little to this forum so far! But I have got some valuable info for preparing for the exam from here. Thanks to everyone!

Here is the break-down of my score:

SECTION % of TEST MY SCORE
======= ====== ========
Development Process -- 12% -- 85%
Requirements modeling -- 18% -- 80%
Architecture -- 12% -- 100%
Static Modeling -- 22% -- 75%
Dynamic Modeling -- 24% -- 61%
Des & Impl Tech -- 12% -- 71%

Feedback about the exam:
----------------------------------

I found the exam to be MUCH harder than the IBM sample test. I got tonnes of exhibits. May be more than 30 or so.. Really.. I am not kidding. Some of them were pretty complex too.

For 3 of the questions especially, they were occupying the full screen on a 17" viewsonic monitor. And.. I had to deal with 2 exhibits at the same time. One had static diagram and the other had dynamic modeling. I was asked question based on those 2 exhibits. That was REALLY annoying.

Another thing was that the questions were VERY long. Most of them occupied full screen. So may be its not a bad idea to read Norman Lewis's "How to read faster and better" :-)

But, I didn't have a prob with time though. I was able to review most of the questions.

Most of the questions are about how you are able to apply the knowledge for a givem practical problem. There were VERY little straight-forward theory questions...

My suggestions for friends in prep mode:
-----------------------------------------------------
ALL the questions are more-or-less based out of Larman and Fowler. Read both the books several times carefully. Especially Larman's book is THE MOST USEFUL resource. Read chapters 5 - 34. You need to by-heart EVERY word of it.. literally.. Also Cueller's notes helped me A LOT!! Don't miss to give it a reading before you go to the exam. It serves as a good last min recap of all the key elements.

I repeat, READ LARMAN SEVERAL TIMES VERY DILIGENTLY. That's the golden key to success.. Do understand the BIG picture. How all the pieces fit together, etc. Pay attention to Larman's end-of-chapter diagrams summarizing the context of the artifacts and its relation with other entities.

My preparation:
--------------------
I took courses in OOAD before and so had some decent idea. My total preparation time was about 90 hours. It took me nearly 35 hrs for the first pass of Larman. First pass is very difficult and needs enormous amounts of patience. But after that, it pays off!! You will really enjoy the second and third readings.

I read Fowler too, maybe 4-5 times. But he just touches the surface.

I took the IBM sample test and cfws. I did not have time for bparanj's test. I briefly looked at Whizlabs questions, but they sucked big time.

So guys, beware of the practical application based questions. Prepare well, take a deep breath and jump in :-)

Good Luck.. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Thanks
Anant

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2002 12:50 AM
a_java2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for a_java2 Click here to Send a_java2 a Private Message Find more posts by a_java2 Add a_java2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr Iftikhar

Congrats a_java2 for passing the exam and Thanks for your valuable information about the exam.

Can u plz tell me which was the major case study in your exam Either Air Reservation System or Student Registraion System.

And Is there any quesitons on the net which are very near to Actual Exam for getting the difficulty of the exam as you mention that most questions are practical based.

Old Post 11-28-2002 02:32 PM
Mr Iftikhar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Iftikhar Click here to Send Mr Iftikhar a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Iftikhar Add Mr Iftikhar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bparanj
CTO, Zepho Systems

Congratulations on your success !!! Good luck on your 483 exam.

Best Wishes,
Bala

Old Post 11-29-2002 09:07 PM
bparanj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bparanj Click here to Send bparanj a Private Message Visit bparanj's homepage! Find more posts by bparanj Add bparanj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
a_java2

I had an event reservation system repeating mostly. Think of Ticketmaster. It has very similar functionality. Some exhibits are diagrams, some are just description of the problem, some are Data Dictionary, etc... Many of them repeat in the exam. I had one question on home morgage with an exhibit, 2 or 3 questions on a banking system with huge exhibits of class digrams.

Another type of question I got was, they would give a huge class diagram and in another exhibit it would have 4 different sequence or collaboration diagrams. You have to pick the best interaction digram as per the given question. I found this type of questions, most annoying as you have to handle two full-size exhibits and read the question and its options all at the same time. Handling all the three at once was a bit difficult. If you have these kind of questions, I suggest, mark them and leave them for the end rather than wasting time in the middle of the exam (I did not follow this approach ofcourse! but will be very useful).

More than knowing about a particular system, what I found MOST important is HOW to analyze the problem. Read Larman VERY DILIGENTLY couple of times. If you can apply what you learn from it, you should all be set. That was what I did and it works. Also be sure to read the recap of Cueller's notes before going to exam. That will keep everything fresh in your mind at the time of giving the exam.

Please don't waste your energies and time trying to learn a particular system. All systems need the same basics. Thats my sincere advice.

Old Post 11-30-2002 06:14 PM
a_java2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for a_java2 Click here to Send a_java2 a Private Message Find more posts by a_java2 Add a_java2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr Iftikhar

Thanks again a_java2.

Can u tell me another thing, that I don't have enough time to study the whole book again and again as I have to give the exam with in one and half week.
Is this necessary to read BOTH SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT CYCLE instead of reading of first 24 chapters of 1st Cycle.
Because I have not studied the 2nd development cycle yet.

Thanks and what's your suggestion that I must read the 2ND DEVELOPMENT PHASE or 1st DEVELOPMENT PHASE IS ENOUGH TO PASS THE EXAM.

Old Post 12-01-2002 12:10 AM
Mr Iftikhar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Iftikhar Click here to Send Mr Iftikhar a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Iftikhar Add Mr Iftikhar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vikrama

Hi,
Good shot.Congratulations...

Bye,
Viki.

Old Post 12-06-2002 07:10 PM
Vikrama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vikrama Click here to Send Vikrama a Private Message Find more posts by Vikrama Add Vikrama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
viveksivakumar

congrats nice work

Old Post 01-29-2003 05:33 AM
viveksivakumar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for viveksivakumar Click here to Send viveksivakumar a Private Message Find more posts by viveksivakumar Add viveksivakumar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote