Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Tools > Sequence diagram starting from the bytecode
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ben

Lightbulb Sequence diagram starting from the bytecode

Hye,
I just found on the web a tool which is capable of generating the class diagram and the sequence diagram starting from the bytecode of a java program. You can download a trial version at http://www.nasra.fr

It's quite useful because it can do all the reverse engineering of a java application and it's simple to use (although you need Rose to view the diagrams).

Regards,
ben

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-02-2002 09:46 AM
ben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ben Click here to Send ben a Private Message Find more posts by ben Add ben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

This tool, called J2U, certainly looks interesting!

The web pages for this site are mostly written in French. For our English speaking readers, there is a British flag in the upper left hand corner of the home page. Click on this flag and then go to the Products tab on the left of the page to get information about J2U.

Although I will reserve judgement until I can try this tool out, nevertheless, this is the tool that we have been advocating for at least two years but nobody has yet developed (until now, hopefully). See:
Auto-generation of sequence diagrams

There are tools that produce sequence diagrams from source code but not from a running program. This appears to be one of the first. The difference is important because a sequence diagram generated from a trace of a running program is a better documentation tool for existing software.

Keep in mind that this is not exactly the best way to do OO design. You want the process to be that the sequence diagram is used to develop the software in the first place! However, as a documentation tool it is essential.

Thanks, ben for this very interesting link!

Old Post 05-02-2002 01:06 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Thumbs up This tool is for REAL!

This tool is for REAL!

After struggling to get past the crude user interface of this new UML tool, I finally had some real success.

I decided to test J2U on our recently released preview of the Object-Oriented Calculator.

The tool successfully was able to instrument my class files so that when I ran my application it generated a trace file of the execution paths taken. Then I exported the trace to an XMI file which was subsequently loaded into Rational Rose with the Unisys XMI add-on. What resulted was a series of very usable sequence diagrams, which together provide a lot of insight into the workings of the calculator.

The diagrams which resulted from entering in the following input - "7 + 8 = " are as follows (PNG format):

1) enterDigit("7")

2) enterOperation("plus")

3) enterDigit("8")

4) enterOperation("equals")

This is certainly a very exciting development and, even though the user interface currently lacks polish, still a highly usable tool once you learn how to use it.

One of the most exciting aspects about this new tool is its clever use of XMI as a strategy for integration with other UML products.

Old Post 05-13-2002 11:41 PM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wellington

NASRA has released version 1.3 of J2U, a dynamic reverse engineering product that can create sequence diagrams from running Java code.

The most significant addition is the ability to create HTML/JPEG output directly from J2U. This effectively allows the user to bypass the previous step of importing the XMI file into Rational Rose. Adding this feature should allow J2U to become a full-fledged tool vendor rather than a vendor of add-on tools.

I tried the new version and created an HTML presentation of our Object-Oriented Calculator. While the tool does take time to run, it did produce an accurate sequence diagram as a JPEG image.

This tool is definitely one of the most innovative UML tools released recently. With additional polish, J2U could become a leading UML tool.

Old Post 06-19-2002 03:34 AM
wellington is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wellington Click here to Send wellington a Private Message Visit wellington's homepage! Find more posts by wellington Add wellington to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote