Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Just passed 486...81%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nchollis

Just passed 486...81%

I haven't posted here before, but since I have browsed this forum extensively...I feel I should contribute something back!

My background is 5 years software development, but with only really the last year in OO Development with Java. Overall, before I began to study for this exam my exposure to UML was next to nought.

I concur with some other people in that this in an absolutely fantastic opportunity to learn UML, and you should treat it in this light. This exam goes beyond a "piece of paper" and is a real career/knowledge building exercise. I have both an MCSD and SCJP2, but by far this was the greatest learning experience I have had with regard to "vendor" exams.

My Preparation:
2 months just reading Larman. I took my time, made sure I understood the principles, and made a conscious effort to ensure I did not just "read" it. At the time I was developing a J2EE web app for my work, so I took the time to write my own fully dressed use cases for it (we had our own BA...but the development process was waterfall... ). I drew a domain model, some interaction diagrams, did some refactoring. Trying all the time to work out how all the pieces hang together.

I then bought Fowler and read it in a couple of days. It's a great overview, but now after sitting the exam, I feel that Larman is the real key. Fowler's insight into the development process is probably the most important thing. I found Fowler easier to understand, so if something wasn't totally clear to me in Larman, I consulted Fowler (if I still didnt understand it, I came here...)

I then took the ICE exam and got around 70%. I then consulted here and JavaRanch to work out the correct answers (until I got 100%). I then went through every question to make sure I fully understood why each question answered the way it did (took about two weeks).

I then went through each exam objective to clarify any grey spots and problem areas ( 5-6 hrs)...and here I am!

Thanks to all contributors to this forum and especially Stephen Hosking whose knowledge and experience are a fantastic asset to this forum.

Nathan Hollis
SCJP2, MCSD, UML

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-2002 01:19 AM
nchollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nchollis Click here to Send nchollis a Private Message Find more posts by nchollis Add nchollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oyesiji

Study notes

Pls can you help me with your study notes i guess it would contain the answers to the ICE test

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2002 06:21 PM
oyesiji is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oyesiji Click here to Send oyesiji a Private Message Find more posts by oyesiji Add oyesiji to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote