Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Passed the exam with 87%
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mballav

Cool Passed the exam with 87%

Hello everyone,

I passed the exam this Saturday. A month ago, I was not at all confident that I could make it to 67% mark, since I scored 71% in the practice test. But then I came across this forum and learned that the actual test is much better than the practice one as far as ambiguous answers are concerned. I also took the Brainbench's UML test and scored 92% percentile, though I do not recommend it to anyone (BB's test is mostly based on notations). I completely focused on the two books and my weak areas. In the practice test, I had scored the lowest in "Architecture" and "Development Process" sections. In the actual test, just the opposite happened...I scored max in both of them!

Anyway, to those who are planning on taking this exam, my suggestion is to wholeheartedly focus on the two books. You can easily read the Fowler book several times, but the Larman is not that easy to go through completely again (... gets boring). So, my recommendation is to make notes.... at least jot down the key point (ones inside rectangular boxes for sure) and the things that you find useful or important that you would like to remember. Prepare better notes for your weak areas. Once you have made the notes, you do not really have to go through the book again. Just something that worked for me...

In the exam, although I did not mark too many questions to look at later and finished in about 100 minutes, I recommend marking a question whenver you have a doubt and then moving on. That way you have enough time at the end to ponder over those questions.

As many have pointed out in this forum, there are plenty of large diagrams in the exhibits. You must feel comfortable reading large diagrams.

What else? I am happy that it's over. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me: mballav@hotmail.com ...

G'luck to y'all.
Manish

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2002 06:29 PM
mballav is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mballav Click here to Send mballav a Private Message Find more posts by mballav Add mballav to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ram100475

Congrats!!!

Hello Manish,

Congratulations on your success in the certification.

All the best.

Old Post 03-08-2002 02:28 PM
ram100475 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ram100475 Click here to Send ram100475 a Private Message Find more posts by ram100475 Add ram100475 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alastair_penney

Well done. That's a really good score.

I passed today myself with 76%. It's a tough exam and my advice to potential candidates is you need to study quite hard for this and be well prepared (Personally, I put in a couple of hours a day for 2 months). Definitely read the recommended texts thoroughly, expecially Larman. Larman's book can be heavy going in places on first read, when you go through all those specs, technical memos and so on in detail. I found I appreciated the book a great deal more the second time around when I was focusing more on understanding (and memorising!) all the key points and looking at how the listed objectives on IBM's site map to chapters in the book. One problem with Larman's book is you can easily lose sight of what the unified process is about as most of the info given is on requirements and design. I found it helpful to read a separate summary of the unified process as well to gain a clear overview ("The Unified Process Explained" - Kendall Scott).

As far the exam is concerned only about a third to a half is straight out the texts, answer immediately stuff. Most questions test whether you really understand Larman's ideas and can apply them in a given situation, or otherwise understand exactly what that situation corresponds to for the textbook answer. eg. I doubt it'll ever say "Define GRASP Creator", more you'll have to realise for yourself that is what applies and then apply it correctly, for example, in the light of new requirements, or a poor design needing refactoring. I think people newer to OO who have less experience of (well-organised) OO projects will find the exam harder -- more experience will definitely help (for me, 2 to 3 years commercial OO, with some UML diagramming).

It's quite a long exam, 2 hrs 15min. I found I had just 10 mins left to review my answers which was enough. I advise trying to find a test centre with big screens because of the size of the exhibits. I did the test on an IBM Thinkpad (VUE/IBM test centre). These were fast machines so scrolling was not a problem but it would have been nice not to have to do that.

I think it would be extremely helpful if there was more than one practice test, with harder examples. That said, I scored 76% on the sample test and 76% on the exam next day, so I can't complain! I definitely think we need an official set of sample answers with a reasoned explanation for each question as a learning / training aid. This forum has certainly been useful to a large extent for that -- thanks

Good luck to everyone else!

Alastair

Old Post 03-08-2002 09:21 PM
alastair_penney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alastair_penney Click here to Send alastair_penney a Private Message Find more posts by alastair_penney Add alastair_penney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote