Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > UML Certification > Cleared the IBM 486 Certification - Feb 08, 2002.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ram100475

Thumbs up Cleared the IBM 486 Certification - Feb 08, 2002.

Hello all,

First I want to thank the forum members for giving several guidances.

Yes, surely it was a relief for me to clear this certification even though I did not get the marks I expected, but passing is more important I guess.

This certification was conducted in a very broader area where the different thoughts/understanding/nature can trigger various kinds of results which can be debated for a very long time, but this still remains a very interesting area to me.

About the Certification:

* The certification first contains a lot of diagrams, as several members commented before the prometric screens should be made better.
* There are around 50-60% questions with exhibits.
* For some questions there were more than one diagram for reference.
* The number of questions asked as per the requirements given by IBM are given below

Section 1 - Development Process = 12%
Section 2 - Requirements Modeling = 18%
Section 3 - Architecture = 12%
Section 4 - Static Modeling = 22%
Section 5 - Dynamic Modeling = 24%
Section 6 - Design & Implementation Techniques = 12%
So as you see the more questions are from Dynamic modeling.

* There was one question asked for CRC cards.
* There were 2 questions asked on Refactoring.
* There are also questions which were straight forward, like what diagram should be changed for a scenario. ( questions more or less similar to asked in the IBM mock exam)
* Some of the diagrams repeat in the exam.
* Make sure you are able to identify various classes that can be placed suitably in a interaction diagram.
* There were 2 questions (if I remember correct) which had your knowledge tested on deployment diagrams.

Exhibits:

* There were use cases (both textual and diagrammatical), class diagrams (make sure you are used to seeing huge diagrams in a small screen), sequence diagrams, no package diagrams, no collaboration diagrams, no component diagrams, no deployment diagram.
* Make sure you understand the parts of the Class & Sequence diagram very very well.
* Do not miss the grouping of classes, how it can be done.
Maximum 3 choice questions, and I was always specified how much correct answers to choose.
* Do not miss knowing about how navigation affects the understanding of your relation to class associations. I was bit confused with this when it came to a real life scenario.

My Preparation:

* Fowler book very well, at least 5 times.
* Larman book very well, at least 3-4 times.
* Object Oriented Design Heuristics by Arthur.J.Riel (a very good book)
* UML in a Nutshell
* Applying Use Cases by Geri Schneider and Jason.P.Winters

Recommendation:

* "It is not enough if you know generalization is represented using a certain symbol, but how to use it is the KEY to exam."
(or)
* Make sure you learn things by applying it in a real life solution, do not read it as A & B, but learn how/where/why we can use the A & B.
* Do not miss the Fowler and Larman book, they contain a lot of input to this certification exam.
* Go with a fresh, non-tensed mind as you are made to think a significant amount in the exam.

Timing:
* I was able to get through all the questions in the exam the first swipe with 45-50 minutes left.
* Time is surely a very high criteria to be considered for this exam as MOST of the questions are testing your knowledge on how you apply it to a real life scenario.

Hope I had given my best input to the members about my experience with this certification. I will do my best to answer any questions you may have about this certification. Please do post your questions in this message and I will try to answer my best.

I wish you all success and peace in life. I once again thank the various members of the forum for helping me out in various ways.

Thanks
Ramakrishnan Seshadri.

Last edited by ram100475 on 02-11-2002 at 02:32 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2002 08:11 PM
ram100475 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ram100475 Click here to Send ram100475 a Private Message Find more posts by ram100475 Add ram100475 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Hosking

Congratulations Ramakrishnan, and well done!

Old Post 02-09-2002 10:26 PM
Stephen Hosking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Hosking Click here to Send Stephen Hosking a Private Message Find more posts by Stephen Hosking Add Stephen Hosking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ram100475

Thanks Stephen for the wishes. I am hoping to start my next Java architect certification exam very soon.

Thanks
Ramakrishnan Seshadri.

Old Post 02-11-2002 02:32 PM
ram100475 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ram100475 Click here to Send ram100475 a Private Message Find more posts by ram100475 Add ram100475 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shipping

what is "UML in a Nutshell "??

what is UML in a Nutshell ?
where I can find it?
I can't buy the Fowler book because I am in China?
so are you feel if it is import for 486?
can I make some books replace for it??
thanks!

Old Post 03-26-2002 02:29 AM
shipping is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shipping Click here to Send shipping a Private Message Find more posts by shipping Add shipping to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Hosking

Forget it

I have "UML in a Nutshell", and it didn't help me at all with 486 preparation, because it concentrates on the details of UML notation, but not on how to use it, and for the exam you need to know how to use UML. For the exam, you must use the Fowler and Larman books. Try buying them from www.amazon.com.

Old Post 03-26-2002 08:09 AM
Stephen Hosking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Hosking Click here to Send Stephen Hosking a Private Message Find more posts by Stephen Hosking Add Stephen Hosking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chandrugs

Could you pls help in for preparing for exam

How do i need to prepare for this exam. Could u pls help me out in this.

Thanks
Chandru

Old Post 05-24-2005 01:30 PM
chandrugs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chandrugs Click here to Send chandrugs a Private Message Find more posts by chandrugs Add chandrugs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote