Objects by Design Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Objects by Design Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Objects by Design Forums > Main Forums > Books > Practical Java Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SZ
Administrator

Practical Java by Peter Haggar is a rare find for Java books: an intelligent, challenging and useful book for the intermediate to advanced Java developer which explains a number of the more subtle points about the Java language, always with an eye for the fine points of object-orientation.

Each chapter, or 'praxis' as the author calls it, addresses useful techniques for writing more effective Java programs. Some of the many useful topics include:

+ how to properly clone an object
+ testing for object equality
+ using finally to clean up resources
+ avoid use of instanceof in favor of polymorphism
+ minimizing the cost of object creation
+ lazy evaluation
+ differences between interface, abstract class and concrete class
+ uses for immutable objects

The list goes on. This book should be part of every Java expert's library.

ISBN: 0201616467

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-22-2001 02:08 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
REF

If you liked "Practical Java", you'll probably love "Effective Java" by Josh Bloch (heck, you probably have it already).

Old Post 11-03-2001 10:02 AM
REF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for REF Click here to Send REF a Private Message Find more posts by REF Add REF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SZ
Administrator

Effective Java by Joshua Block is an outstanding book. Thanks, REF, for reminding me about this book. I went back for a look and I am finding some great stuff.

In particular, I really like the section Item 21: Replace enum constructs with classes. After describing why traditional enum's are 'brittle', the author describes a pattern for typesafe enums using classes. You can see from this section how rigorous the author is in terms of using object-oriented design to circumvent common pitfalls of non-OO constructs.

One nice outcome of using classes here is that classes can be extended as the items being enumerated take on additional meaning. This adds a whole new dimension to a program as the details of the enumerated types are fleshed out in a way which maintains encapsulation. With traditional enum's the functionality gets flung all over the program wherever switch statements are found that use the types.

I hope to follow up with other interesting gems that I find in this book.

Old Post 11-18-2001 04:34 AM
SZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SZ Click here to Send SZ a Private Message Visit SZ's homepage! Find more posts by SZ Add SZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebengtso

I have read it and its very good, but there is a lot of tricks for starters. Half of it was helpful to me, and the other half I just skipped.

I recommend it.

Old Post 12-24-2002 08:00 AM
ebengtso is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ebengtso Click here to Send ebengtso a Private Message Find more posts by ebengtso Add ebengtso to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote