Objects by Design Forums
Show 15 posts from this thread on one page

Objects by Design Forums (http://forums.objectsbydesign.com/index.php)
- Books (http://forums.objectsbydesign.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Any best book for use cases? (http://forums.objectsbydesign.com/showthread.php?threadid=200)

Posted by smsreedhar on 03-01-2002 09:10 PM:

Question any best book for use cases?

Any one can suggest me a best book for use cases. I am not vey much satisfied with either Larman or Fowler for this topic, as this is covering entirely 2 sections of the exam.

Thanks
Sreedhar

Posted by capecod on 03-04-2002 02:50 AM:

One of the classics on use cases is Writing Effective Use Cases by Alistair Cockburn. This is probably one of the most complete and focused books on the subject although, truthfully, I find that Larman does a pretty good job as well.

Another interesting book is Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML by Doug Rosenberg. This book shows how use cases tie in with the rest of the UML diagrams as part of a coherent process. A key step in this process is the creation of robustness diagrams, which have recently become more widely supported in UML tools. These diagrams provide an important bridge between use cases and the other UML diagrams.

If anybody else has any favorites on use cases, I would be very interested to know.

Posted by Stephen Hosking on 03-04-2002 10:25 PM:

Larman was good enough for me.

I thought Larman was very good on Use Cases, and it got me through the exam. Fowler also helped.

Posted by Stephen Hosking on 03-04-2002 10:27 PM:

Thanks capecod. I might find your two references useful when I use UML in the workplace.

Posted by smsreedhar on 03-06-2002 09:06 PM:

good book for use cases

Thanks Stephen and Capecod.

For use cases, I 'm reading Larman, Advanced Use Case Modelling by Frank Armour, Granville Miller; and Applying Use Cases by Geri Schneider, Jason P. Winter. Of course, I am not reading the later books completely. But topic by topic. Especially, the Advanced Use Case Modelling is rationally explaining each topic with more examples.

Thanks

Posted by SZ on 11-12-2003 01:27 AM:

I found another excellent title on use cases: Use Cases: Requirements in Context by Daryl Kulak and Eamonn Guiney (2nd edition, Addison-Wesley, 2003).

In the first chapter the authors describe why traditional requirements capturing techniques are not working and then proceed to explain a use-case driven requirements gathering approach. After covering each facet and stage of use-case development, the book later provides a description of how many project artifacts may all be traced back to the use-cases. An appendix provides a full use-case example for a real-estate management system.

I highly recommend this book because of its comprehensive treatment of the topic and because of its easy-to-read style.

Posted by wellington on 11-25-2003 03:07 AM:

found the best book?

Advanced Use Case Modeling by Frank Armour and Granville Miller (Addison Wesley, 2001) appears to me to be the 'best book for use cases'.

Granted, this is not an introductory work. In fact, the goal of the authors was to create a book that would address the successful usage of use cases for large software development projects. In this they succeed admirably.

One example of the advanced topics the authors describe so clearly is the chapter on Extend, Include and Generalization relationships. This chapter describes each of these UML 1.3 use case relationships in detail and give the reader the background to use these relationships effectively when combining multiple related use cases in a large project.